[18] You took my heart, could I please have it back?

I would like to give a special thanks and dedication to Shekinah_V86 for all her brilliant ideas, comments and editing. You've been great :D I really don't know what I would have done without your help! She's my mini editor with the best suggestions!! She's amazing :D

I hope you like it!

.:Recap:.

I stared after them, more specifically at James, my head still in the clouds, and then, somehow, my face twisted into the first real smile for five years.

.:Story Start:.

I played with a strand of hair, staring into space, looking at but not seeing the bookshelf in front of me as I looked through the author's names to put a book back in its relevant place. My mind was still on last weekend, reflecting on being in the band.

It was awesome, finally being a part of something social. The last time I had been involved in social stuff was before The Accident. I hoped the band - my band - would be a bit friendlier towards me, as I was now part of them, figuratively speaking of course.

I finally found the space I was looking for and slid the book in, before looking to see the next title - 'A music theory for the violin'. I scowled - that meant going all the way down to the first floor again, into the music section.

Humming a tune from the Gig softly as I walked, I reached the bottom of the staircase and went into the music section, not paying attention to where I was going. I almost tripped over a small child running down the corridor as I looked for the space to put the book in.

Clumsiness was an irritating part of my persona. Most likely it was because I was humming and thinking and not paying attention, but somehow I managed to walk into someone. It wasn't totally my fault - they had been running in the library, after the small person I presume.

"Sorry!" I exclaimed as the person fell to the floor, and as he looked up I realized it was James. I had walked into James in the library...again.

"Déjà vu much?" he joked as he got to his feet.

"No running in the library, you should know that," I scolded, and he chuckled.

"My cousin's intent on running away from me...ah, Sarah!! Come here, now." He said impatiently, looking behind me. Wait - Sarah...cousin...it all clicked as I remembered Sarah was Alex's little sister.

"Oooh, yay, psychic Lizzy is here!!" cheered the small girl as she ran up to us. James arched an eyebrow at me and I panicked for a moment as I realized I had kept mine and Alex's friendship a secret.

"Hey Sarah," I said, ruffling her hair, avoiding James's eyes.

"Sarah, how do you know Liz?" he asked as he picked her up.

"Alex brought her home," she said, and I cringed - that sounded like it was going the wrong way. "She's psychic!! She knew we were having mash!!" she exclaimed, and I refrained from rolling my eyes.

"Alex...?" James trailed off, then gave me a meaningful look. I sighed, glancing at Sarah, then back at James. He understood and put her down. "Go find Josh, I'll find you in a minute," he said to her, and she pouted but then scarpered as he continued to look at her like her mother would. Then he turned to me.

"Explain," he said, frowning at me. Now I was worried - what would I say? Alex and I had become friends through his father's death, and I only knew his father because of my father, who I really didn't want to talk about. I decided to lie about the first part, but come clean about everything else.

"When Alex came to school, he saw me...differently to everyone else. He didn't make fun of me, he wasn't mean, he just listened. Listened to what I had to say, and made me feel better. No one else did that, so we became friends.