002 || back again

•••

•••

"Dalia! Your boyfriends back" I sang heartily, waving to Lewis as he strode through the door.
"Shut up" she groaned, coming out of the back room to meet him. They shared a quick hug and a kiss before she grabbed her bag off the side of the counter.
"You sure you got this? We'll be an hour tops" she said, looking at me for reassurance.
"I'll be fine - this place never gets busy anyway" I laughed, waving my arms at her dismissively, "now shoo before I push you out"
"Love you!" She called as they left.

I leant back against the counter with a sigh, enjoying the silence of the empty café. That, of course, was soon shattered as someone entered.
Withholding a sigh, I span around to greet the customer, coming face to face with the man from the day before.
"You know I never did catch your name" I smiled, resting my head on my hands and my elbows on the counter in front of me.
"Clint" he nodded, his eyes inspecting my face. I took a moment to look him up and down.

Lets just say - I liked what I saw.

"So, same as yesterday?" I asked cheerfully
"Please"
I nodded and pressed the button to start making the coffee, this time deciding to make conversation.
"I haven't seen you around here before, you new in town?"
He quirked his brow at me, slightly smiling.
"Yeah, I was relocated for work"
"Ah - welcome to the big city" I jested "What kinda work do you do?"
He paused for a moment, "security"
"So that's why you're so muscly" I breathed, not realising I had said anything out loud.
Clint chuckled, and I felt my face burn with embarrassment.
"Oh god sorry"
"It's okay, it's cute that you think that" he smirked, flexing his muscles jokingly.

I ducked my head slightly, handing him his coffee and putting the money in the register, trying to avoid anymore eye contact, though this only made him laugh some more.
"Thanks for the coffee Grace"
"Bye Clint"

•••

Clint kept coming back at the same time every day for the next few weeks, and each time we'd chat a little more.
Of course, this meant I received routine teasing from Dalia, who often roped her boyfriend in for his opinion too.

"Love boy's here" Dalia whispered, nudging my side.
I rolled my eyes at her but turned around nevertheless. I was slightly shocked to see him walk in with a stunning red head at his side.
"Shit you missed your chance!" Dalia added, sounding more like she was hissing at me than whispering.
"Oh shut up" I hissed back, slightly upset at the sight.

"Hey Grace" he greeted, leaning against the counter "can I get two black coffees - not to go this time"
"Sure" I replied, forcing a smile on my face "just take a seat and I'll bring them over - that'll be $5"
He nodded and placed down the five dollar bill,  before following the girl to a table.

"Ooh bad luck" Dalia murmured "she's fucking hot"
"Yeah thanks Lia, remind me to support you next time you see Lewis with a hot girl"
"Ay ay ay - he wouldn't be with a hot girl unless it was me because we're dating. We told you to make a move. Did you listen? Nope"
"I barley know him!"
"You don't have to know him to see he's hella good looking"
She sighed dramatically, placing her hand over her heart, "the hot ones always find each other"
"Fuck you"
"I love you too. Now go give them their coffee" she laughed as I gave her a death glare.

Picking up the two cups of coffee, I walked over to their table, the conversation quickly stopping as I approached.
"2 black coffees" I smiled, placing the cups gently on the table.
"Grace this is Nat, my partner. Nat this is Grace" Clint introduced, I flinched slightly at the word 'partner', feeling like it had sent a knife in to my gut.
"Nice to meet you" I said, trying to sound as genuine as possible.
"You too" Nat grinned, her eyes flicking between Clint and I.
"I'm gonna go back over there now" I said awkwardly, "enjoy your coffee"