016 || break

•••

•••

That evening I sought out Steve, eventually finding him sat with Sam and Bucky outside.
"Can I talk with you for a minute?" I asked, moving to sit opposite them.
"Sure" Bucky smiled, nudging Steve in the side slightly.
"Okay. I'm just going to come out and say it. I have found out who was messaging Stark's compound and it was not with ill intentions. They were simply contacting Vision who also wants to leave the compound. I was wondering if it was possible for him to come here"
"Absolutely not"
I glared at Steve slightly, "Excuse me?"
"Vision was made by Tony. We can't trust him to come here. What if they're still trying to get the authorities on us? It could be a trap!"
"He isn't going to -"
"You can't assure that. You can't promise me that everyone here will be safe. What able T'Challa? He could get in major trouble from harbouring us. It's too risky"
"I can see where you're coming from, but it's not going to happen like that -"
"He's not coming here and that's final. If you want to help him then leave"
A shocked chuckle escaped my lips.
"Okay Rogers. I hope you'll wake up one day and not see everyone as an enemy. Vision isn't a stranger, he was part of your family once. And so was I" I sighed, stalking back inside, surrounded by an aura of disappointment.

•••

"I think it's best for the kids"
"Is splitting up really the best plan? Honestly?"
"I don't think the kids should be kept in this environment anymore" I insisted, "we always said this was a temporary solution. Wanda is desperate to get to Vision, Pietro's going with them, and they won't be allowed back here. I'm not the only one who's seen Steve's getting slightly unstable. The fight hit him hard."
"I'm not saying he isn't... but what about Nat?"
"She can come with us if she wants, but I doubt she will. She'd miss the fights too much" I sighed, "she can always come visit us occasionally if she can get away"
Clint let out a long exhale, running his hands through his hair before giving me a stiff nod.
"If you think that it's for the best then I'm with you. Should we go talk to Nat?"

Standing up, I took his hand in my own. We walked in silence to the living room where Nat was sprawled out on the sofa.
"You have a serious look on your face" she observed, sitting up, "what's happened?"
"We think we're going to leave"
"What?"
"This was always a temporary solution-"
"But Clint's still on the run and you're supposed to be dead" Nat pointed out, an incredulous tone of disbelief in her voice.
"We'll work it out. We'll be fine, I promise you. We just can't stay here anymore. The twins are leaving and Steve's made it quite clear that if I want to help them I should leave"
"The kids are homesick Nat" Clint added, scratching the back of his neck, "you can come with us if you'd like but I have a feeling you won't"
Nat released a deep sigh, tilting her head slightly, "You know I'd love to but-"
"You feel like you owe him?" I finished, noticing her hesitancy.
Natasha just nodded, hauling herself off the sofa and wrapping the two of us into a hug.
"I'm gonna miss you two" she mumbled.
I tightened my hold around her, "You can come visit any time - if you can get away"
"Don't stay away too long though" Clint said.
We stayed like that for what seemed like hours, not wanting to split up again.

•••

"I'll see you soon" I whispered, giving Nat another hug. Lila and Cooper were saying goodbye to Shuri, Nathanael not wanting to let go of her leg. Steve and Sam stood awkwardly at the back of the fold whilst Bucky left Marzia to walk over to me.
"Thank you, for everything" he said, shuffling awkwardly on his feet.
I smiled, gesturing for him to give me a hug. He mirrored my smile as he carefully wrapped his arms around me, accepting my hug.
"You can talk to me any time, you know my burner number. Don't ever feel like you can't call me, okay? You're family now"
As we pulled away, he was beaming, giving me a small nod.
"You ready to go?" Clint asked, his hand finding its way to my hip.
I nodded in response, herding the kids onto the jet, turning around to give Nat one last wave.
"She'll be fine" Clint reassured me, pressing a kiss to my temple.
"I know"