038 || break-out

•••

•••

It was the middle of the night when I heard it. Ever since my capture a few months ago, I hadn't really slept, and even when I did I was still incredibly alert of my surroundings. That's why, when I heard someone breaking through the window, I immediately grabbed my pistol from under my pillow.

The footsteps were getting louder and I let out a quiet sigh of relief - that means the kids were safe for now. Climbing out of bed, I tiptoed towards the door, standing slightly to the side. As soon as the door opened I leapt, securing my legs around the intruders' neck.
"Grace! Oi!"
I gasped, releasing my hold immediately, "Steve! I'm so sorry!"
"It's okay" he grinned, rubbing his neck slightly, "You look good for a walking corpse"
"Thanks" I laughed, before going back to my serious tone, "Why are you here? Is something wrong?"
"Not exactly. I - um could use your help breaking everyone out of jail"
"Fuck yeah! Who'll look after the kids though?"
"They should be safe here for a few more days right? This is Fury's house after all"
"True. Okay let's go!"
He laughed quietly, shaking his head at me, "you're awfully chipper"
"I'm ready to kiss my husband and hug my kids, fuck yeah I'm chipper"
I followed him out of the window and back to the jet, taking one final look at the house before the door of the jet closed.

"Grace, since you're technically dead I found you a mask"
"Ooo a uniform" I squealed, taking the parcel from his hand and unwrapping it enthusiastically. Inside sat a Hawkeye memorabilia mask. I looked up at Steve with a dead glare, seeing the smug look on his face.
"Really?"
"What? It's poetic" he smirked
I sighed, slipping the mask over my face.
"I hate you"

•••

"Okay but how do we get it to rise out of the ocean? Just a little problem there hun"
"I stole the jet off of Tony, it's registered after him so they'll open up" Steve said, in a slightly cocky tone.
"Alright smart guy" I laughed, "you win"
I had changed into a spare tac suit that Steve had brought with him, the mask sitting on my lap.
"This is it" he said, "you should probably put your mask on now"
"Yes captain" I sighed, sending him a smile as he rolled his eyes, placing the mask over my face.
From below, the prison rose from the water, reminding me of Atlantis. I smothered a small smile as I saw some guards walk out unsuspectingly.
"You ready?"
"Hell fucking yes I am. I've had training and a near death experience - I'm bloody lethal at the moment" I joked, doing a little stretch as I hyped myself up, "question: are we killing?"
"If needed"
"Ooh you've gone dark Rogers"
"You have no idea"

As soon as the jet doors opened, Steve leapt on the nearest guard, knocking him out in one fail swoop. I faltered for a second, before following his lead and jumping at the second guard, my leg wrapping around his neck and squeezing until he went limp. Taking the pistol from his holder, I slipped into my waistband.
With a small nod from Steve, we proceeded through the prisons' doors, immediately met with another 4 armed guards. Taking them down easily, we worked our way through the control room, taking only 3 minutes until all six were out cold.
"I thought this was supposed to be high security?" I wondered aloud, frowning slightly.
"I think that's more related to the location than the guards" Steve joked, kicking an unconscious guard in his back.

Trailing slightly behind Steve, he unlocked the door to the cells with a keycard he had swiped from the belt of one of the workers.
"Don't tell them it's me until we're in the jet" I said, locking eyes with Steve, "I don't know how long these guys will stay unconscious"
"That's your choice" he nodded, pushing open the door.
The circular room was dark, only dimly lit by one singular light in the middle of the room. I spotted Sam pacing up and down in his cell, head whipping towards us as the slam of the door reverberated around the walls. I stayed back as Steve stepped forward into the light, my eyes looking around the wide room until they locked on to the twins, chained in insanity jackets.
A small growl escaped my throat as I strode towards the cells, using a keycard to open the two doors. Pietro stared at me defiantly as I took out my knife, moving around to saw through the sleeves and free his arms. I did the same to Wanda.
"Is that everyone?" Steve asked, his authoritative tone cutting through the tense silence. I moved to his side silently, a small smirk on my face. Clint, Scott, Sam, Wanda and Pietro were stood around us, relieved expressions on their faces.
"That's everyone"

"Who's the chick?" Scott asked Steve quietly as we walked through the halls, stepping over unconscious bodies as we went.
"You'll see" Steve grinned, still high on adrenaline from the break-in, "you'll see"
As soon as we got onto the jet I walked with Steve to the front as I tried to calm myself. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Clint comforting the twins, pulling them into a hug.
"You'll need to do it at some point" Steve said pointedly, "might as well be now"
I nodded, walking over to the three awkwardly, being stopped by Sam on the way.
"I don't know who you are, but thanks"
I sent him a thumbs up, before continuing to the back.
"- need to find the kids. I wonder if they know-"
"- please Clint don't say it"
I coughed awkwardly, rocking on my heels slightly as they turned around to look at me.
"Hello?"
"This is kind of awkward" I said, pulling off the mask, "in my defence Tony was supposed to-"
I was cut off by Wanda jumping into my arms, sobbing heavily on my shoulder. I shushed her soothingly, cupping her head gently, pulling Pietro into the hug as well. Through my tears I could see Clint still sat on the bench, his face scrunching up as he turned his head away.
"We thought - we thought - you -" Wanda said between sobs, clutching my shoulder tightly.
"Fucking Tony" Pietro whispered, his head resting on my other shoulder, his tears soaking through the fabric.
"I'm sorry" I mumbled, "I'm so sorry"
The twins stepped back tearfully, my gaze locking onto Clint.
"Grace"
His voice sounded strangled, tears falling down his cheeks. That one word had me running at him, pulling him into my embrace immediately, kneeling down so I was at face level.
"Tony said - oh Grace -"
"Bloody idiot wasn't as clever as he thought he was, the audio came back too soon"
"But did-"
"Yes"
He pulled back, his eyes locking onto the faint bruising that had remained on my neck.
"Jesus, Grace"
"I'm okay now. I'm okay, see?" I said, pulling his hand so it cupped my face.
"Don't scare me like that again"
I just smiled, pulling him into a kiss.

"Ohhh so she did a Fury"
"Shut up Sam, they're having a moment"