013 || barn

•••

•••

"If they're all staying here some of them will have to double up unless they wanna sleep on the couch"
"Thats not gonna sell" Clint snorted, moving over to the closet.
"What about Nat and Dr Banner. How long has that thing been going on?" I asked, wiggling my eyebrows suggestively.
"Has what?"
I laughed at his naivety, "you're so cute"
"Nat? And Banner?"
"She was totally eyefucking him earlier"
"Grace!"
"What it's true! And he seemed to be in to it too, in his own shy way"
"We don't need to talk about this"
"Do you not like the idea that Natasha might be having sex with the hulk... oh my god imagine the siz-"
"You better not finish that sentence" he warned.
"Okay" I sang, leaning on his shoulder slightly, "I'm just saying, you don't seem to be living up to the name Hawkeye right now"
Clint scoffed, pushing my shoulder gently.

I paused for a minute, watching as Clint changed his shirts.
"What happened today? Nat seems really shaken"
"Ultron has these allies, punks really, but they carry a big damn stick. Nat took a serious hit. Someone's gonna have to teach them some manners" he answered, moving to sit on his chair by the window, me following close behind.
"That someone being you?" He gave me a look, but I continued, "you know I support your place on this team, I honesty do, but when I see you next to those ... those Gods -"
"You don't think they need me"
"No! I think they do. Which is a lot scarier. Look at them Clint, they're a fucking mess."
We both looked out the window, spotting Tony and Steve talking animatedly by the wood pile.
"Yeah - but I guess they're my mess" he sighed fondly.
I rested my chin on the top of his head, my hand snaking under his shirt to feel where his cut had been.
"I just - I need to know that they're really a team, and that they have your back. I trust Nat completely, but the others?" I trailed off, "just be sure. We're gonna be outnumbered soon and I can't do this alone"
"You won't have to do it alone" he said huskily, standing up to face me before pulling me in for a kiss, my hand still staying on his side.
"I can feel the difference, gimme my 10 dollars"

•••

After the fuss had settled down, everyone split off to do their own thing. Nat went to talk to Bruce (Clint had ran away once I started theorising about what they were doing), Thor has disappeared, Steve and Tony were chopping wood and Clint was with Lila and Cooper outside. I was about to join them when I received a text.

Unknown
Meet me in the barn now.
Tell no one.

"Seems legit"
I set off to the barn, informing Clint where I was going, just in case. Sitting down on a hay bale, I waited for the person to show up.
As if he had melted out from the shadows, a man stood in front of me.
"Oh my god" I gasped, rushing over to the man with an elated grin "you son of a bitch you're alive!"
I engulfed him in a big hug, squeezing the life out of him.
"You really do care" Nick laughed, hugging me back, "and you're pregnant. Again."
"But - you were shot. Declared dead! How - how ... are you a ghost?"
"No I'm not a -" he sighed, facepalming, "I had to let them think I was dead. Now SHIELD has fallen I'm laying low until it's time to re-emerge" he explained.
"Just - Thank you for not being dead"
"Grace has a heart, who knew?"
I snorted and punched his shoulder.
"Why did you wanna meet me in the barn, I know the kids would love to see you"
"I need to take Tony by surprise in case he takes off, think you can do that for me?"
"Is this a mission" I asked happily, bouncing up and down on the balls of my feet.
"You're not -"
"Please just say it's a mission. I've been trained by Nat for years - don't tell my husband that, I'm still trying to convince Clint to teach me archery but I know more than just basic moves-"
"Grace-"
"Nat said that I'm basically a perfect shot with a gun and I can do some pretty good hand-to-hand moves if I didn't have this bump in the way-"
"Grace-"
"And whilst I'm no where near as good as a trained assassin, I think for a normal-ish person I'm pretty advanced"
"Grace!" He said in a loud voice, halting me mid-rant
"What?"
"I don't need you to manhandle him, I need you to ... trick him"
"Consider it done"
When I didn't start to move, he raised his eyebrow inquisitively. He finally caught on and rolled his eyes at my childishness.
"Agent Barton"
"Yes Director" I grinned.
"Your mission is to bring Tony Stark here without letting him know I'm still alive"
I squealed happily, before pulling on a straight face, "Yes sir!"

"Sorry to interrupt" I said, approaching on what looked to be a brewing argument between two of the avengers "but Clint said you're pretty handy at mechanics. The tractor doesn't want to start -"
"Yeah I'll give it a kick" he nodded, seemingly eager to get away from Steve, "don't touch my pile"
I lead him over to the barn, opening the door with a grin, "Thanks Tony"
He gave me a small smile in return, before walking in to the barn.
"Mission accomplished" I smirked.

•••

A/N: I have my last french exam tomorrow. Still don't know french. Send help.

Also the next chapter is a bitch to write, it will probably be a bit longer than most because holy shit there's a lot of dialogue