039 || bonds

•••

•••

As the group dispersed that night, a-buzz with the excitement of the successful trial, Clint fixed me with an unsteady gaze, shifting his weight from foot to foot with a sense of unease.
"Are you coming or not?"
The tension seemed to drain out of him at the question, a small smile resting on his lips as I led him back to my room. When he hesitated at the door again, I rolled my eyes and pulled him in, pressing a light kiss to his lips.
"This okay?" He mumbled, back against the wall and forehead resting on mine.
"Well I've missed you holding me at night. Sex? You gotta work for that one mister"
He chuckled at the teasing tone, moving slightly to press a kiss to my forehead before taking my hand in his and leading me over to the bed.
"Just cuddles" he rasped, lifting the sheets, "that's more than I could wish for"
A light laugh escaped my mouth, turning into absent humming as we both settled into our preferred positions, bodies fitting together like puzzle pieces. Clint's arm cradled my body gently - almost hesitantly, as if he was worried I would disappear any second - and moved to rest our foreheads together again.
It was perfect, exactly the way it had been all those years to ago, staring into each others eyes as we just were.

My sudden sneeze broke the mood, Clint flailing in surprise and falling backwards off of the bed. After a brief second of silence, I burst into obnoxious laughter, Clint joining in a few seconds later.
"I'm so sorry!" I wheezed, clutching my stomach, "it came out of nowhere!"
"I've missed you"
The humour in his tone was shadowed by deep longing, ruining the light mood.
Rolling over to peer over the edge of the bed, I took in Clint's figure, staring absently at the ceiling.
"I missed you too" I murmured, voice soft, "get back up here you pleb"
My voice seemed to snap him out of his haze, a small smile reappearing on his face as he scrambled to climb back on the bed.
We both laid there in comfortable silence for a few more minutes, hands entwined, just soaking in each other's company.
"It worked" Clint eventually said, turning his head to look at me, hope shining in his eyes.
"It did"
"We can get them back"
"We can"
"I heard them. Cooper and Lila. Arguing over headphones" he said, voice trailing off into a tearful chuckle, "like nothing changed"
After a few beats of quiet, I turned to meet his eyes, determinedness settling in my features.
"I don't think there's anything I wouldn't do to get them back"
Lifting my hand up to his mouth, he pressed a light kiss to the skin, before murmuring, "neither do I"

•••

"So what's the plan for today then?" I asked, walking into the kitchen.
Tony, Rhodey and Nebula were sat at the kitchen island, Thor situated at the dining table just slightly further away, his headphones in and a bowl of cereal in front of him, completely dead to the world.
"We need to get everyone in one room and try and figure out how to get the stones" Rhodey said, sliding a cup of coffee across the counter for me, "might be good for you to call off of work for at least a week"
I nodded, taking a sip of my drink, before nodding towards Thor.
"Has he said anything this morning?"
Tony shook his head, slight concern creasing the corner of his eyes, "he's not doing the best"
I hummed thoughtfully, stepping away from the counter.
"I might spend the morning with him, see how he's doing"
Quiet affirmations were heard as I started towards Thor, moving to sit on the seat opposite him.

My presence went unnoticed until I tapped the table by his bowl, the movement pulling him out of his head and directing his focus to me.
"Morning" I smiled, gesturing for him to take his headphones off.
"Good morning Grace, how are you?"
"I'm good, just wondering if I could braid your hair today? I know I asked yesterday but -"
"I think that would be quite alright" Thor said, a smile pulling at his mouth, "I would love to see how Midguardians braid hair"
Raising an eyebrow, I leant back in my seat and crossed my arms, smirking at the challenge in his voice.
"Don't think I'll be as good, huh?"
That got his attention. A sly smile crossed his face as he shrugged, copying my posture.
"Oh, it's like that, okay" I grinned, "lemme get a brush and some hair bands and I'll meet you in the common room, say, five minutes?"
"Deal"