010 || fury

•••

•••

"Agent Barton nice to see you've finally showed up"
Clint skidded to a halt as he saw Nick Fury standing in front of the doorway.
"Fury, sir" he greeted, trying his best not to convey his shock.
"I heard you asked to come in an hour late today because of plumbing problems? I just find it funny because I sent a plumber to your apartment and not only was your toilet fine - you weren't there" Fury said, raising his eyebrow challengingly "any reason why that is Barton?"
"No sir. Nothing bad I swear"
"So if I tracked where you just came from, there'd be no foul play of any sort"
"Not by my recollection no sir"
"Well then by all means let's go"

Clint choked on air.

"Please sir I don't think that's a good idea-"
"Is there anything you should be hiding?"
"Well it depends on your outlook on my situation. It's simply a privacy matter -"
"Well then it'll just be me then, let's go shall we? Or will I have to involve agents in this case?"
"No sir - I just don't see why this is necessary-"
"The first thing you should know about me by now Barton" Fury said, gesturing Clint to lead the way "is that I trust no one"
"Of course sir" Clint grumbled, beginning his walk back to Grace's house.

After a few minutes of walking in silence, Clint stopped short, causing Fury to look at him suspiciously.
"Are you known to the public sir?"
"What?"
"I'm just trying to gauge how much I can get away with here - involving the other party"
"I am, yes. But only to people who are interested in the head of security for the American government"
"I might get away with this then" Clint huffed, continuing his walk.
"Agent Barton you might as well tell me what's going on - I'll be finding out in a few minutes anyway" Fury stated.
"I was over my - well I don't know what she is to me actually - my kind-of-girlfriend. She doesn't know what I do for a job, but I was going to explain to her later today but obviously I can't now"
Fury narrowed his eyes, "you know what we say about relationships in your field of work Barton"
"That's exactly why I didn't tell you"

•••

"How was your night with Lewis?" I asked, phone pressed to my ear as I tugged on some leggings.
"It was great, as usual" Dalia replied, and I could hear the smile in her voice "enough about me, how was your Netflix session last night?"
"It was kind of interrupted" I chuckled "Clint got back early"
"Bitch" she breathed "you didn't"
"Oh we did" I grinned "twice"
"Fuck off!" She screamed.
I heard scuffles as she bounded out of the room she was in, "Lewis! Guess what?"
"What?"
"Grace fucked the hot coffee dude"
"Fuck!"
"Gimme the money boy, hand it over"
Lewis grabbed the phone out of Dalia's hand
"Cmon Grace! Could you not have held out another month!"
"Sorry Lewis" I snorted, Dalia could be heard celebrating in the background
"He better be worth my $5 or we're gonna have a problem"
Before I could answer I heard a knock on the door.
"Tell Lia I said bye, I gotta go"
"Okay bye!"
I hung up my phone as I opened the door.

"Clint. Would you like to explain why Nick fucking Fury is on my doorstep?"

"Nice to meet you too Miss Mannings. May we come inside?" Fury asked, stepping into the apartment before I could answer.
Clint flashed me a look of apology, following in after him.
"Um - am I missing something here?" I asked, shutting the door cautiously.
"When Agent Barton lied to Carson this morning it led me to believe he may be conspiring against SHEILD. I can see it was an honest mistake now" Fury explained nonchalantly, analysing my apartment with his eye.
"Fucking excuse me? Agent? SHEILD? You work for Nick Fury?"
"I was going to explain tonight but Fury-"
"Was making sure I wasn't part of a terrorist group?"
"Sure let's go with that" Fury said, turning so he could analyse me.
"Clint I'm confused"
"I'll step outside, let you explain" Fury said, patting Clint's shoulder as he let himself out of my apartment.

As soon as he was gone, I collapsed into my chair.
"What the actual fuck?"
"I know - I'm sorry - I tried to talk him out of coming but I couldn't -"
"Hey! It's okay" I said, cutting him off, "just explain. I can feel my brain turning into mush"
Clint took a deep breath and sat down opposite me, his hands folded on his lap.
"I am an agent in SHEILD which is one of America's top defence programs - but you seem to know what that is already. I am a level 7 operative, code name HAWKEYE"
"Okay" I said, leaning back in my chair "so you're like... an assassin?"
"More like a marksman, but yes I do have to kill people - mostly in self defence. It's either that or they blow up countries and stuff" he admits, not meeting my eyes.
"Okay" I said calmly, trying to process what I was being told "so you shoot things to save people - that seems ... fair?"
"Trust me, I'm only sent to stop very dangerous people, most of them with a very high body count"
Clint started to rake his hand through his hair nervously.
"Hey"
I moved towards him, taking hold of his arm and intertwining our hands.
"I can work with this, okay? It's not like you enjoy the killing-"
"No, no I dont"
"Okay then" I shrugged.
"Seriously?" Clint asked sceptically.
"Yes"

I stopped to think quickly.
"Wait - does this mean Nastaha...?"
"Agent just like me"
"Cool"