028 || school

•••

•••

Considering how long I had been studying the subject, I had decided to plunge into the deep end and join the surviving class of NYU (who were already over halfway through their year - 3 months away from the final exams) and needless to say I was scared shitless.
"Is it too late to try and do this online?" I moaned, clutching Nat's hand like a life line as we approached the university campus, "I've been out of school too long. I'm not used to the school anxiety"
"You'll be fine! If you can survive what you have done you can do anything. Good luck on your first day Fiona Rider"
"This name is stupid"
"It's cute"
"Shut up"
"I'll be with Steve today so if you need anyone to pick you up just call one of us" she said, pulling me into a hug, "I'm proud of you"
I scoffed lightly, a small smile on my face, "gawd you're such a mum. I'll call you if I need to okay? I promise. You need to stop hugging me or I'll wimp out - not kidding"
She laughed, releasing me with a few pats to my shoulders before straightening her back.
"You're gonna kill this today"
"Thanks Tash"

With a deep breath I straightened my back and started forwards, my hands clutching my folders as I walked towards the bustle of campus. No turning back now.

•••

After a tiring 6 hours I eventually made my way out of the campus, instantly spying Steve leaning against the car. Raising my eyebrow slightly, I walked towards him quickly, trying not to attract too much attention.
"Sup Brooklyn, why're you here?"
Steve smiled at the nickname, sliding into the drivers seat, "Nat got called out to business so I got babysitting duty"
"Ooh - snarky"
"Shush and put on your seatbelt"
"Yes Cap"
I sent him a mock salute before following his instructions, leaning back in my seat slightly as he pulled away from the campus.
"So how was it?"
"Wasn't as bad as I expected. The people are quite nice, only 2 people thought I was a TA and one of them tried to hit on me"
A small frown appeared on Steve's face for a second before he straightened out his expression.
"Huh"
"Don't worry, I'm like 10 years older than them. Plus I'm kind of married"
Steve just snorted at that, though I could sense that he was uncomfortable with the idea of me being flirted with. His eyes darted to my bare ring finger, making me move awkwardly in my seat.
"I'm a big girl Steve, I can handle myself. They're only a few uni students anyway"
The supersoldier just hummed absentmindedly, hand tensing around the steering wheel.

"Rhodey is coming over tonight" he said, breaking the silence that had washed over the two of us, "he's bringing lasagna"
"It'll be nice to see him again. Will Nat be back in time?"
"If all goes well"
I clambered out of the car as soon as Steve parked, throwing a 'Thanks' over my shoulder as I raced to my room, desperate for a shower.

Placing my folders on my bed, I let out a deep sigh as I caught sight of my ringless wedding finger, my hand automatically reaching for the chain that hung low around my neck. On it hung the two rings that tied me to Clint, the only physical thing I had left of him with me.

I had figured out pretty early on that the rings were upsetting to me, the glint of the bands reminding me of all that I had lost within those painful months. So, after quite a few arguments with my reflection that had me questioning my sanity, I took them off. They now instead resided around my neck, the constant weight acting as a reminder of him even when no one else could see it. It was my secret. And that's how it was going to stay.

•••

A/N: sorry this was a kinda filler chapter - the next one will be longer and will have some new (familiar) faces