012 || overheard

•••

•••

"I'll be back in a bit" I yawned, walking past Clint and in the direction of the goat pen.
"You okay?"
"Yeah just going for some fresh air - might help Bucky feed the goats while I'm out here"
The door swung open, the chilled morning air washing over my face as I stepped outside and made my way over to the pen. It was silent apart from the chirping of birds and the slight crinkle of leaves in the wind, the soothing sounds helping me forget the nightmare I had only a few minutes prior.
"Hey Buck" I greeted, leaning on the gate as he got out the food, starting his morning routine.
"Hey Grace - is this a session?"
"If that's okay with you"
"More than okay. I haven't had the best night either"
I nodded understandingly.
"You wanna go first?"
"No, please ladies first"
I took a deep sigh as I recounted my nightmare.

It was cold, dark and dreary. A permanent chill seemed to have settled in my bones as I surveyed my surroundings. I was alone in the same room as last time; no windows, no doors, no way out. Only this time instead of a noose there was a lone chair sitting in the centre. An interrogation.
The steady thump of my heart bounced around my skull as I sat down, anxious for what was about to come. A flash resonated around the room, two bodies appearing in front of me. There lay my mum and dad, blood soaked and unbreathing on the floor by my feet, eyes glassy and umoving.

"It was like I was back there again. The pain - I could feel it"
"I get some like that - not as often anymore though. Maybe it's a thing that leaves with time?"
"Hopefully" I sighed dejectedly, "what about your night?"
"It wasn't much better than the rest. I murdered a man. Couldn't properly see his face but I know it must've been late 80s from the clothes he was wearing. I hadn't seen this one before, but I felt angry the whole time I was doing it" he explained, a slight tremor in his voice, "Marzia shook me awake before I could finish, said I was almost shouting"
I frowned and pulled him into a hug, my hand reaching around to stroke the back of his head calmingly.
"We're gonna be okay"
"I know"

•••

I let out a snort as I walked into the living room, Nathanael swinging upside down from Natasha's shoulders and screaming bloody murder.
"I'm gonna drop you" Nat teased, met with hysterical begging from the toddler.
"No! No! No! No!" He squealed loudly, dodging her tickling fingers. Cooper and Lila were playing tag with Clint, both kids running madly around the sofas as they tried to catch their dad.
Not wanting to spoil the moment, I retreated to the kitchen where the twins and Sam were talking. Ignoring their conversation I moved to the cupboards, opening the top one and taking out a bottle of wine.
"You alright Grace? Don't you think it's a bit early to be drinking?" Sam teased, receiving a middle finger from me, "Well you're pleasant this morning"
"What do you mean?" I replied sarcastically as I popped the lid off, "I'm a ray of fucking sunshine"
"Can I have some?" Pietro asked.
"No it's too early"
"But-"
"Shush"
"Ok"
"This isn't because...?" Wanda trailed off guiltily, looking down at her feet as she avoided my gaze.
"No - no. Of course not! You did nothing wrong yesterday, okay? That wasn't your fault"
She just nodded slowly, obviously not believing me as she took another bite of her toast.
"If anyone needs me I'll be on the roof"

Once I was situated comfortably on the roof I allowed myself to relax, the nice morning breeze tousling my hair as I took a swig of wine directly from the bottle. I hadn't really had any alone time for a while, Clint always being near me if I was by myself. I think he was still scared he was going to lose me, like I'd just vanish into thin air. Directing my attention back to the alcohol, I let out a deep sigh before taking another sip, rationalising my behaviour.
I was brought out of my thoughts by a hushed conversation right below me.
"That's insane!"
"She comes back out of nowhere and then suddenly we get a message from Stark? You can't tell me there's not a link there!"
"It's Nat, she'd never betray me like that - especially when Clint and Grace are here"
"Just think about it, okay? Who else would've used the communications room to send messages to Stark's compound. Something doesn't add up"

"shit" I groaned quietly, "We're fucked"