013 || home

•••

•••

"Ready for a roadtrip?" I sang as I hopped into the passenger seat. Clint just laughed, pointing at the satnav that sat on the dashboard. My mouth dropped open in disbelief.
"FOURTEEN HOURS? WHAT THE FUCK?" I screeched.
"You were the one who wanted to do a roadtrip" he chuckled as he started the car.
"I didn't know it would take that long. I thought it was gonna be cute" I whined, throwing my head back dramatically.
"It'll be fun" Clint said, pulling away from the curb and starting the drive.
"We could use this time to get to know each other better" I suggested with a shrug, hoping that he'd agree.
"Okay"

"I'll go first. What's your biggest aspiration?"
"Wow okay no hanging back here" he laughed "This is a bit awkward but my biggest goal was always to have a family - I didn't have a good one growing up so I want to be able to give my children what I couldn't have"
I nodded and gave him a soft smile.
"That's sweet. For what it's worth I think you'd be a good dad"
He smiled back at me appreciatively.

"So, my dear Grace, if you could do anything in the world, what would it be"
"You" i snickered, making Clint guffaw next to me.
"Nah I'm kidding ... kinda. I'd like to go to Sydney - to the opera house" I said, a reminiscent smile on my face "it was my mother's favourite place, it's where she met my dad so I guess I owe it a lot"
"I guess I do too then. Maybe I'll take you some day" he winked.
"I know you're joking but I'd be totally down"
"Maybe we could make our kids there" he said, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively, making me explode with laughter.

•••

"Grace, wake up" Clint said, nudging my arm "were 5 minutes away - I thought you might like to see it come into view"
"Thanks" I murmured, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.
We were on a dirt track surrounded by greenery - as a city girl this was a completely new atmosphere.
"Wow" I breathed, looking out of the window excitedly.
Clint glanced at me in the corner of his eyes, smiling at my excitement.
"Here we are" Clint announced as we turned the corner.
"Oh my god" I squealed.
In front of us was a farmhouse, plain and simple, with a little barn stood behind it.

"I love it" I cooed, "do we own all the surrounding land as well? Oh my god we can have goats"
Clint chuckled at my enthusiasm, pulling up to park.
"Let's talk design when we can actually see what we're working with" he said, climbing out of the van, the house keys jiggling in his hand.
I leapt out of my side, eager to see inside.
I grabbed Clint's free hand as he opened the door, squeezing it in excitement. He flicked the light switch, illuminating the house.

"Oh it's so pretty" I gasped, staring at the wide empty space, already imagining what I could do with it.
"It's a fixer-upper but it'll do" Clint said, a satisfied smile settled on his face.
"We could start by doing up the bedroom, cos we need that. Then the kitchen, front room - oooh what's that?" I got distracted by something hanging on the wall.
"A dartboard" Clint laughed
"You're supposed to be a marksman huh" i smirked, "show me the sugar"
Clint snorted, doing an exaggerated bow, "your wish is my command"

He picked up the 5 darts and stepped to the other side of the room (which was quite a way away) and winked at me.
He threw the darts in quick succession, all of them hitting the bullseye.
"Woah" I gasped, my mouth hanging open.
"Still have doubts?" Clint asked smugly
"Nope - you're good"

•••

"I think Fury had a bed put in for our first night"
I followed him eagerly up the stairs, taking note of the rooms that we went past.
"Here's our bedroom" he said, opening the door to the biggest room.

Pushed up against the wall was a sturdy king sized bed. Just looking at it made me yawn.
"You tired?" Clint asked softly, pulling me towards him so my back was pressed against his chest.
I hummed in response, leaning into his comforting touch.
"We can't have that" he laughed, scooping me into his arms and placing me on my side of the bed.
I kicked off my shoes and jeans, leaving myself in my T-shirt. Clint followed suit, stripping down to his boxers as he collapsed onto the bed.
"Do you like the house?" He murmured against my temple, tucking his arm over my waist again.
"I love it" I replied, smiling up at him, before slowly drifting off in his arms.