034 || daughters

•••

•••

It took two months but I eventually hauled my ass back to the Stark's house.
"Do you wanna-"
"Nope. I'm good now, I think. I should - I should be good"
"Okay, I'm sorry for -"
"Tony" I cut him off, my face stern, "that was on me, not you. I'm sorry I ruined your special day, that was really shitty of me. I thought I could do it and I couldn't. I can do it now, I promise"
Seeing he'd be fighting a losing battle, he simply nodded, slinging his arm over my shoulder as we walked into the house.
"You've come at a good time, it's a full house"

"Grace!"
I was instantly engulfed by Pepper's hug, a large weight instantly leaving my shoulders as I was fully assured that she wasn't annoyed with me. I returned the hug with a laugh, pulling away with a smile on my face.
"Tony said it was a full house?"
"Oh right, Rhodey's out back and you need to meet our space daughter Nebula"
"Wait - Nebula's here?"
I span around to see the blue woman standing awkwardly in the kitchen.
"No way! I've heard so much about you from Tony! It's great to meet you, I'm Grace" I grinned, walking up to her excitedly, "you don't look like a hugger"
"I'm not"
"I won't do that then" I winked, offering my hand instead. Her handshake was firm and brisk, offering me a slight tilt of her lips.
"Thank you"
"No problem. Wow you're just as cool as he said you are - you remind me of my friend Natasha before I knew her very well"
"Really? How so?"
"She always looked like she wanted to murder me, though I worked my magic and within a month I had her tolerating hugs every now and then"
"You have magic?" Her eyes narrowed, "I thought you were a Terran"
"Oh, no I don't have actual magic. Sorry I forgot there would be a sort of language barrier"
"It's okay"

A shrill cry from upstairs broke up our conversation, Tony walking over to me as Pepper rushed upstairs to get Morgan.
"You good?"
"I'm good"
"You want to meet her?"
I took a deep breath and nodded, "I'll be fine. So... Rhodey's the godfather huh?"
"Yeah" Tony grinned, "he looked after me this long, I'd trust him with a baby"
"Not much difference"
He scoffed, shoving you gently.
"You should've seen him when I told him, he started weeping"
"In his defence he probably never thought it'd happen. I mean Tony Stark? Having a baby? It's a miracle in itself"
"I hate you too, thank you so much for being here"
A hush fell over the room as Pepper walked back down with Morgan, the baby still fussing. It was only in that moment that I noticed the bags under the new parents eyes, and I immediately knew that they were having trouble with settling her down.
"Here, let me try?" I offered, walking towards Pepper hesitantly.
She nodded, a soft smile on her face as she transferred Morgan into my arms.
"Hi" I cooed, rocking her back and forth slightly the way I used to soothe my kids when they wouldn't calm down, "aren't you just gorgeous"
After five minutes of soft talking and rocking, Morgan settled down, her large eyes watching me in wonderment.
"You're gonna have to teach us how you did that" Tony blurted out, "please-"
"Of course, when Clint -" I paused, composing myself before continuing, "when we first had Cooper he would be crying most hours of the day and we had no idea how to stop it. It took us ages to figure out how to do it properly, almost 5 - maybe 6 months"
I looked up and gave the two a watery smile, "she's amazing"
Tony grinned, scratching the back of his neck as he exchanged a look with Pepper.
"While you're held captive, we have something we'd like to ask you" she began, "well - Tony wanted to ask - he kind of demanded to or he'd throw a fit -"
"She gets it Pep" Tony said, cutting her off with an affectionate smile, "um, no point dragging this out, we were wondering if you'd like to be Morgan's godmother"
The tears in my eyes welled over, sending Tony into a state of panic.
"You don't have to be - no pressure or anything-"
"Tony, these are good tears. You'd really let me be her godmother?"
"Is that even a question?" Rhodey asked, walking in, "why wouldn't you be?"
Moving Morgan onto one arm, I gestured to my crying face, "I'm a bit of a mess right now"
"We're all messes" Rhodey shrugged, "but the fact that you still came to the birth was a big thing"
I just shook my head, smiling as the tears continues to fall from my eyes, moving over to Pepper and Tony where I was quickly pulled into a group hug.
"I'd be honoured"