six

"A parent-student conference?", Jin asks with hesitance laced in his voice.

"Yeah!," the teacher says enthusiastically. "Not only does our school engages in having a good friendship with your children, but we also would like our children's parents to get along. It would be a great opportunity for you to simmer down and mingle with other parents."

Seokjin's shoulder's slumps as he sips on his hot chocolate that Namjoon gave him earlier. The last parent-teacher conference he went to didn't go very well. He had the sole purpose of befriending other parents, but they all talked - not behind his back- but at him, which made it all and all unbearable for him. Jin doubts this year will be any different, considering it happening each time. It has come to a conclusion that Jin has taken a long break from these conferences.

"C'mon, Seokjin," Namjoon slides his face under Jin's, pulling a funny face to cheer him up. "It'll be fun, we'll play games, share stories and talk about your kids together. Think of it as a reunion with your classmates."

In the midst of his thoughts, Jiah waddles up to her dad and sits on his lap gracefully. "Papa, what's a confwewence?"

"It's," Jin struggles, "like.."

"A playgroup," Namjoon answers. "But with your Papa in it too, he's invited."

Jiah's doey brown eyes sparkle hearing her Papa's presence in school. "Papa!," she giggles, wrapping her short arms around Jin's waist, "Papa in school! Jiah wants!"

"Calm down, baby," Jin nudges her nose playfully.

"Papa, come to school pwease!", she puts on her best puppy eyes, persuading her parent.

"I'll come, I'll come - and it's only because I love you."

"Great," Namjoon claps, "I'll see you then, Seokjin."

"Yeah, see ya," the parent laughs nervously. Oh how he was not looking forward to this.

Jin wakes up that day, only having one thing on his mind; he has to dress up and impress the other parents. After washing up, he stands in front of his closet and opens it. Disappointment, that's one to describe his clothing, or lack there of.

He goes for a printed shirt with a tie, hoping it adds a little bit of essence to his bland outfit and also some ripped jeans he got for cheap on a garage sale once. Waiting his hair to dry naturally, he makes breakfast for his Jiah, some toast with eggs and milk for the two of them.

He goes back to the mirror, parting his hair in various waves to make it look good. He stares at the man before him. He doesn't look good.

Eyes laced with bags underneath, wrinkles starting to form on his forehead and calloused skin from working overtime, dry chapped lips and shoulders too wide for his body, Jin doesn't feel too good about himself. He glances at the subtle bruises on his arms and on his waist. He wishes he were more.. presentable.

He wishes he had more time to himself.

"Papa?", Jiah mumbles, doing grabby hands, in need for her haven's touch. "Good morning, buttercup." Jiah rubs her eyes and stretches her little fists into the air, yawning out loud. "It's time for school."

Hand in hand with his daughter, Jin takes short steps to extend his walk to the one place he dreads going for the day, Jiah's school. Nervousness is evident in his scrunched eyebrows and the way his plump lips stay in a thin line. He takes a huge gulp from his water bottle, hoping the cool sensation of the liquid might ease the nerves. It does, a bit.

When the pair reaches the class, Jin's breath gets caught in his throat as he scans the room. It was swarmed with adults and their children. They all had the nicest outfits and jewelries decorating their skin, not to mention the strong scent of perfume they radiate. Jin feels isolated, and the party was just starting.

"Seokjin, you came!", a familiar voice strikes. Jin looks up to see no other than Namjoon himself. He looks astonishing, with his dark hair pushed back, revealing every inch of his face, toppled with a thin white shirt that exposes every bit of his dangerous curves and black pants to match. His straight posture exudes the dominating confidence he has, it has Seokjin out of breath for the second time this meeting.

"Yeah, I did," Jin tries to put on his best grin, but it comes out forced.

"Let me introduce you to the others," Namjoon gives him a hand. Jin stares at it for a while, debating whether if he should- it was taking too long, so Namjoon just took it, a knowing smirk forming between his lips.

Jin feels awkward. He tilts the head to the other side, where Jiah was happily playing and laughing with her friends while he has to converse with the adults. From the reluctant eyes that they give him, Jin knows immediately that he can't fit in even if he makes an effort. He struggles even to banter with them, as they only speak to praise about their prestigious families and the riches they treasure.

Even in discussions, Jin keeps his head down low, fiddling with his crooked fingers to pass time. Namjoon notices and frowns, wishing he could put a smile on his face, but a parent was in the middle of talking and Namjoon has to listen.

Look how wrinkled his shirt is, doesn't he iron his clothes?

That tie looks so tacky on him, he's better off without it.

That guy screams poor, how does he afford the fees again?

He hears them all, every single one. See, he knew coming here was a bad idea. He stares at his clammy hands, then closes his eyes to focus on his breathing.

The words surround him like birds that he has no choice but to get up from his seat, ignoring the dirty glances and negative remarks. He goes outside where he can clear his mind without anyone judging him and his pitiful state.

Ugh, he's so rude and-

He closes the door.

Jin runs his hands through his dark styled hair, messing it up to his scalp. What's the point of dressing up if everyone's gonna make you fall again anyway? He covers his face and groans, wanting to go home already.

"You okay down there?", a figure approaches him and without looking up, Jin knows exactly who it was.

"Do I tell you the truth or do I lie?"

"A teacher always prefers the truth," Namjoon chuckles, sitting beside him.

"Then, I'm sorry, Namjoon, I'm not okay. I don't know if you saw but every single move I make makes them shove dirty glances at me." Jin shakes his head and says in a small voice, "and to think I dressed up for something."

Jin doesn't hear any response from Namjoon, he must be mentally laughing at him for how obnoxious he sounds.

"I think," Namjoon begins, "that you're the star of the show today."

Jin snickers.

"No really, Seokjin."

"N-no, you're just saying that because you have to, not because you want to."

There was a pause.

"You're right," Namjoon answers monotonously. "You don't look good."

Jin's shoulders droop, not expecting that heartless answer from Namjoon. But then he feels a tug on his chest, and when he flutters his eyes open, there Namjoon was, adjusting his tie, bitting his bottom lip in concentration as he does so.

Jin's heart does a thump.

"Your tie was crooked," Namjoon pats his shoulders, "now you look handsome as hell."