twenty one

Since a national holiday is on the dates, the school promised a three holiday for the children. The teachers, unfortunately, only received one day less due to a meeting they have to attend. On one of those days, Namjoon promised Jiah to go on a date, Seokjin tagging along.

"I miss Jiah," Namjoon states, voice low and husky as he flops in bed with warmth over his blanket.

"She misses you too," Seokjin replies, biting down his bottom lip to suppress himself from smiling too much. He's grateful that Namjoon and his daughter have a close relationship at school. Jiah often shares stories of her day as the parent-daughter pair walk home, most of them being how cool Mr Kim this, Mr Kim that. She's Namjoon's number one fan, she admires him a heck lot. It's heartwarming to see that Namjoon feels the same way.

"Since there's a holiday on Thursday, would she like to go on a date with me?"

There was a muffled noise on the background and a high pitched voice replaces Seokjin's with a cheery tone. "Mr Kim!," the voice says. It's Jiah. Namjoon can picture her holding Seokjin's phone wobbly, her small fingers grabbing the edges tight.

"Hey, lil flower! Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure, Mr Kim!"

"Would you like to go to see planets with me?"

Jiah gasps out loud, almost dropping the phone when Seokjin's instinct works fast and stops it from falling. He put the call on speaker.

"—Saturn, Jupiter, Mars. So, would you go?"

"Yes!," she squeals, clapping her hands. "C-Can Papa come too?"

"Hmm, can he?"

Seokjin quirks his lips upwards and rolls his eyes, "I won't let you two on a date without me."

Namjoon whispers to the phone, "sounds like someone's jealous."

"You know I can hear you, Joon-ah."

Namjoon plays with his tongue, liking the way Seokjin is responding to him.

"I'll text you the address."

It's a black denim jacket kinda day. It took Namjoon almost fifteen minutes to organise his outfit; a plain white shirt underneath and dark baggy pants matched with red sneakers. Namjoon faces the mirror, fixing the flyaways on his head with some hair gel and winking at himself. He looks good. He feels good.

Namjoon was almost late when he arrives at school, 2 minutes sharp before the meeting starts. He bows down consecutively until he finds his seat, getting comfortable.

The meeting starts. Namjoon starts rhythmically tapping his pen against the desk, sneaking on his phone from his peripheral vision for any texts from Seokjin or his brother. None.

He leans himself on the backseat, stretching his arms downwards and waits impatiently until the meeting comes to an end.

Seokjin slides his closet open to be met with disappointment. There are minimal to no signs of decent clothing and Seokjin can't help but be frustrated at himself. He should have had shopping sprees every once in a while. His lack of care for fashion and his mission to save money hinders him from doing so. Present Seokjin now regrets it.

Meanwhile, Jiah is still fast asleep, mouth agape as a trail of drool snakes from the edge of her pouty lips. A trait from both Seokjin and her mother's.

It's been 5 years, but images of her still comes to Seokjin's mind once in a while. You just can't forget your first love.

Seokjin's mind wanders before Jiah's small yawn returns him back to his surroundings. He braces himself for a pink and white flannel, both of his favourite colours clashed in one shirt, a pair of slim-fitted trousers, and Seokjin's black sneakers which he uses every single day.