eight

Hoseok queues as he takes in the rustic scenery of the coffee shop. It's been a while since his last visit, but since it was weekend and he has no assignments due next week, he has the time to sit around and admire the little paintings on the wall.

"Good morning, what would you like today?", an employee asks with a grin on their face.

"One cup of expresso, please." Hoseok hands them the money and waits at the other end, tapping his fingers on the table.

Through his peripheral vision stood a familiar figure with mint hair and feline eyes. His hair is styled differently today, what was usually straightened was now styled to the side, showing a glance of his forehead.

He doesn't know whether he should greet the man or pretend they're strangers.

"Expresso!"

He reaches out for his drink as soon as the other person does too, their hands touching the same drink as he was on top of the latter's.

"Sorry," he mutters under his breath. "Mr Jung?"

"Ah, Mr Min," Hoseok scratches the back of his head, "nice meeting you here."

"Yeah, pleasure," Mr Min mutters under his breathe, taking his cup and turning around to pick a seat. Unconsciously, Hoseok follows and sits down beside him, not knowing why he does so. Mr Min gives him a look, but doesn't interfere as it would be rude.

It was awkward. Neither had anything to say so they just sipped on their drinks, Mr Min wishing the guy would go away so he can enjoy the scenery in peace while Hoseok struggles to think of a topic to talk about. He has the urge to talk to people, even ones he's had not-so-good experiences with.

"So, Mr Min, wait— since it's not work hours can I call you by your first name? Uhh," Hoseok ponders. Then he realises something. He never knew Mr Min's first name. To him, it's always been Mr Min.

"I suggest we don't, Mr Jung. We're only co-workers after all."

"Oh." They're not friends, not even after Hoseok vents his heart out to the guy. Huh.

"We can be more than co-workers?," he suggests.

"Mr Jung, I know how busy we teachers can be, so I'd rather stay in my own bubble for now."

Unbeliebubble. Hoseok's lips twitch. He's being friendly, but the guy's getting on his nerves.

"Seems like you're too hesitant to befriend me, Mr Min, tell me, am I doing something wrong?"

This is it, if he wants to insult Hoseok, then he should do it in front of his face. Call him dramatic, but that's the way he is.

"No, of course not," Mr Min states, fingers on his lips as he talks, "I just think we don't.. connect very well."

"Yeah? How's that?"

"Oh, would you look at the time," the older checks his non-existent wristwatch. "I gotta go. I'll see you on Monday, Mr Jung. Have a good day."

Hoseok huffs out a breath. He rolls his eyes and also leaves the cafe with annoyance plastered on his face. He's never had any problem with befriending people, but why was Mr Min being so difficult?

He grunts, kicking the leaves sprawled across the pathway.

Several moments later, Hoseok finds himself arriving at the dog park. Great, he needs stress relief from the one and only—wait no, don't say his name, don't even think about him.

After buying dog treats from a stand, he searches a clean spot and sits down on the grass, opening the plastic bag. It took him a couple tries but he finally manages to open it out of pent up frustration, and now the treats are falling onto his lap and on the grass everywhere.

It's totally okay though when the puppies start surrounding the guy, eating the treats and licking his face in return. Hoseok giggles, petting every one of the dogs and rubbing their hairy chins. He feels so much better already, being surrounded by these lovable pets. He loves dogs but unfortunately can't afford to have one.

"Pup-puppy!," a little girl with pigtail approaches, also playing with the dogs, giving their ears a massage and squishing their cheeks together. An erupt of giggles escape her lips as Hoseok joins, rocking the puppies back and forth like babies.

The girl looks familiar, but Hoseok can't pinpoint who she is.

"Jiah," a voice calls, "baby there you are."

When Hoseok sees the man, the dots connect, realising that it's Mr Latey Pants' daughter and the man himself.

Jin scoops his daughter and kisses the tip of her nose, the girl nuzzling her head closer to her father's chest.

"Thanks for looking after me, Mister!," Jiah giggles, waving to Hoseok.

"No problem," Hoseok clicks his tongue.

Jin meets Hoseok's eyes and instantly recognises the teacher. He bows as a way of thanking him.

Despite Seokjin telling Jiah it's time to go, Jiah resists, still wanting to play with the pups. Jin has no choice but to accompany her alongside Hoseok, who at times was giving Jin side glances. Jin, on the other side, pretend he doesn't notice.

"Hey, puppy wait!" Jiah giggles as one runs over the field, her little feet following the animal. It's just the two men now.

"So, seems to me like you've got a lot of free time in your hands?", Hoseok begins, hands on the grass as leverage.

Jin nods, not knowing what to respond. He keeps his attention on Jiah, content as the girl happily catches the dog and falling to the ground with it.

"I see.. Have you considered, then perhaps, going to school on time? I heard that you're a streaker at being late."

Jin's plump lips falters into a thin line. Hoseok purses his lips, waiting for a reply. "I'm sorry," Hoseok says, "but as a teacher, not only do we expect our students to be disciplined, but also the parents as well. I hope you understand."

Hoseok knows he shouldn't, but he can't help it. He's had a semi-bad day and he's letting it out on others.

"I-I totally do," Jin stutters, processing the teacher's words. He didn't expect them at all.

"My apologies," Jin's voice decreases as he goes, not meeting the teacher's eyes. He forces a smile, "thank you for the advice, sir. I'll make sure I'll be better next time. Thank you for worrying about me."

"Please excuse me and my daughter," Jin bows, "we have to go."

Jin calls for Jiah and leaves the park immediately, not minding when Jiah tugs on his shirt to have more playtime.

He was more focused on controlling his breathing as he tries to mask the scar ridden across his heart.

Be strong, Seokjin, he tells himself. No one likes weak guys, anyway.