ten

It's been a week since Jin stopped being late, a week since his work schedule has changed, a week since a new start. From the past week, Jin has learned 2 things.

Firstly, working at night is so much more tiring than working in the morning. It may have to take him more than a few days for his body to adjust to his new work schedule. Secondly, Jin realises how much time with his daughter is being taken away from him, and these two lessons all came from his poor decision making.

Jin didn't think twice before he ended up in this situation, bones cracking every two seconds and heart aching for interaction for his dearest Jiah. Ever since he stared working at night, he goes home, worn out, to an empty house, because Jiah now spends her nights at her grandparents'.

Jin picks her up in the morning to take her to school, and in that moment he was able to kiss her, hug her, ask about her day, it seemed like he took all of it for granted. After Jiah is sent off to school, Jin will spent his day waiting for her to go home and then he's off to work until the night comes.

The man rings the doorbell, and steps aside as the door opens, revealing a man in his early fifties, beard unshaved and hair revealing tiny blotches of white due to his age.

"Dad," Jin nods, getting a firm one in return.

"Seokjin."

"I'm here to pick up my daughter."

"Wait."

His voice was dull, emotionless, not a hint of enthusiasm that he has to -yet again- meet his son.

A small petite figure plops out from behind the wooden door, and Jin's facade immediately brightens as his daughter calls for him and gives him the biggest teddy bear hug.

"I'll be going now, Dad," Jin says, his body rigid.

"Okay." The man shuts the door in his face.

Jin was taken aback by the slam, but he's not surprised by his rude behaviour. He sighs, knowing it'll always be like this. You can't fix a relationship that's already broken. It doesn't matter what Jin does, because his parents will not care anyway.

"Papa," Jiah says, tugging on his beige shirt.

Jin shakes his head and puts on a smile for his daughter, "c'mon, Jiah, let's go to school and meet your friends."

The worst thing about having to work late at night, was having long hours and less time to rest.

The beating in Jin's chest becomes heavier as he carries multiple toolboxes to be set onto the storage room. His fingers were slightly trembling due to the fatigue overpowering his body. His legs are getting wobbly as he takes one weak step after another.

Just one more, Seokjin says to himself as the sweat drips off of his forehead.

"Let me help," a voice catches his attention, but Jin's poor vision doesn't help him catch the boy's figure before the boy carries the boxes for him.

Jin stumbles down, finally not being able to endure his fatigue anymore and falls on the ground. His heavy breathing echoes around the storage room, and Jin can't help but thank the boy in his mind because even he was too tired to speak out.

"Here, have some water," the boy with the doey eyes hands one out, opening the cap and letting the fresh liquid flow into Jin's dry throat. "Why didn't you ask for help? You could've fainted!"

"It— it was my— my job," Jin says in between his breaths, his hands on the ground as leverage and his legs spread out.

"They can't expect you to do all that alone," the boy says, worry evident in his voice.