seventeen

Jin taps his foot uncontrollably. Being nervous is an understatement. He's petrified. His hand trembles to knock on the door, but before he can even process, it unlocks on its own.

Jin's father is revealed , enveloped in a sleek navy suit. Jiah stands beside him with eyebrows knitted together as she fumbles with her stubby fingers.

Jin clears his throat, "I'm here for Jiah." He stands tall despite knowing the man could sense fear bolting through his dark brown eyes.

"Never thought I'd see you here today," he snickers, dumping the orange peel he ate a few minutes ago onto the side.

"I don't either."

"Well well well, who's this?", the wrinkly man motions to Namjoon as he opens the door further, a sharp gaze plastered on his face. Namjoon firmly shakes the man's hand, a passive expression plastered within him. This is the man who beat up my Seokjin.

"Pleasure to meet you, sir. I'm Kim Namjoon, Jiah's homeroom teacher. I came here just as Mr Kim Seokjin arrived. The principal requested a home check for all our students. However, seeing as you are busy at the moment, I understand. I apologise for the inconvenience."

"Not at all, Mr Kim." The tension in the air caused by the man disappeared, replaced with a casual spirit. Namjoon noticed, the way the man quickly hides his dislike at his own son.

"May I?" Mr Kim allows Namjoon to head in. Namjoon, brushing up the wrinkles on his shirt, steps in with authority. Jiah, with no second thought, quickly hurries to Jin, hugging him tight like a koala clinging to its tree. Jin manages to put on a grin for his daughter, kissing every inch of her.

Namjoon keeps up his act, skimming around the room for something odd or unfurnished. Jin's dad overall was a little puzzled about this whole thing, how he knew where they lived or why they are doing a home check, but nevertheless he keeps quiet and attentive.

"Right." The old man's head shoots up. "I see you have your responsibilities in tact. Might I ask though, why let her" —he signals to Jiah— "live with you when her father is available?"

The question made the man cough. "Jiah is better off with me. My wife and I have sufficient money, stable jobs, and a permanent home. It's better for her to grow up in a steady home than have her with a parent that is unable that struggles to provide for himself."

Jin keeps his head down, sighing deeply. Why does his father need to say that to Namjoon, out of all people? Why does he make him feel worthless everytime? As if he doesn't know —

"Is she happy?"

Jin's father furrows his brows, "Pardon?"

"Is Jiah happy living with you? I believe keeping a child in a state of contentment is the key to a good household, don't you think?", Namjoon tests.

"Absolutely," Mr Kim states, uncertain. "She'd.. she'd rather live with me than him." He glances at Jin in disgust and Namjoon wonders how a parent could act so cruel to his own child.

"Very well. I'll leave you alone with your doubts now, Mr Kim. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but thank you for your time." He surges a hand forward and Mr Kim shakes it reluctantly this time. He can't believe he almost got humiliated by a teacher that's almost 20 years younger than he is. "It's almost time for school, Mr Kim," Namjoon says to Seokjin. It's weird that they're talking formally again, but it's just for the sake of this little act.

"Right." Namjoon leaves the house, abandoning the hardheaded man puffing heavily inside. Jin and Jiah follow straight ahead, closing the door. That's when Namjoon turns back to his usual charming self. Jin strides forward with amusement ridden on his face. "I didn't know you had that theatrical brilliance in you," he teases.