seven

"Don't you look happy today," Taehyung comments.

"Yeah, just be quiet and don't burn the food."

Taehyung chuckles, decreasing the stove's heat. He stirs the broth with a wooden spoon, letting it simmer. On the other side of the stove, he mixes the meat, kimchi, sauce, and herbs altogether, creating a stove of savoury greatness.

"Food's ready!," the blue haired chimes as he sets the plates on the table. Namjoon's mouth waters at the delicious food. Kimchi fried rice, vegetable soup and sweet and spicy chicken are laid out, each dish holding a significant smell and sparkle to it.

Namjoon almost drools. He wishes he could cook, but he knows better not to since he destroys nearly everything he touches.

"You can't deny that I'm a good chef, hyung," Tae says as he licks the sauce off his fingertips, satisfied with his cooking.

"Okay, I'll admit that, my baby brother Taehyungie is the most handsome and talented chef in the whole wide world. How's that sound?," Namjoon coos, pinching Taehyung's soft bread cheeks.

"Hmm, noted." They both chuckle.

Taehyung eyes the last piece of chicken on the table. Namjoon wants it too, but when he meets Taehyung's ebony eyes, he knows not to mess with him. Namjoon groans, gesturing at him to take it. "You win, you win." A smile is born onto Taehyung's lips, bringing the same to Namjoon. Well, as long as his annoying little brother is happy, he is too. Seeing Taehyung munch on his chicken like it's the most delicious food in the world is amusing. It's nights like these when Namjoon is grateful to have Taehyung as a roommate.

"What's up with you? You're all smiley today," Taehyung smirks, grabbing a tissue and cleaning his sauce-stained hand with it.

"Nothing, just work stuff."

Namjoon sips on his can of beer.

"Oh, c'mon. Tell me about your day, it can't only be work stuff," the younger wiggles his brows, not convinced.

"I told you it's - it's nothing, we had our student-parent conference today and I, for once, had a great time."

"I never thought you would like hanging out with middle aged women, hyung," Taehyung jokes.

"They're not all 30-year-old women, Tae, some dads came too."

"Oh yeah? Did they all have big bellies?"

"Tae!," Namjoon whines, laughing along with him. Taehyung picks the dishes and washes it off, Namjoon joining after finishing his beer and throwing it to the trashbin. "Not all dads have big bellies you know."

"What's he like then? Is he the sugar daddy type?"

Namjoon smacks his brother, earning a low scowl from the guy.

"I can't believe I have a pervert as a brother," Namjoon shakes his head, wiping the wet dishes with an old cloth. He then cleans his hands before the two slack onto the bouncy sofa, legs on top of each other.

"I never thought teaching would be your thing, hyung," Tae retorts. "What about that dream of yours, huh?"

"I never thought about this job either, but I'm learning a couple of things as I go." Namjoon ponders. "And to answer your question, I'm working on it. I've applied to some universities, I'm just waiting for their response."

"It's not too late to dream," Namjoon murmurs.

Not only does Namjoon want to study astronomy, but his sole purpose behind it was his dream ever since he was a kid to work at NASA, to explore its fantasies and hidden mysteries about the universe, where it is completely his own.

"If they do accept you, are you gonna leave me alone in Ilsan?"

"Hey, don't think of it like that," Namjoon scoots over when he sees the growing pout on Taehyung's face, hugging a pillow close. "We don't even know if I'll get accepted yet—" "—but you will, hyung!" "Okay, if I do, won't we still be able to video call and stuff? There's so many chances of us interacting in the advanced world we live in now. Don't think of me leaving you, think of it as.. hyung going on a really long vacation."

"It sucks sometimes," Taehyung snickers, "having a genius as a brother."

"Hey, I'm not a genius." Namjoon hugs Taehyung tight, caressing his silky blue hair. "There's still a possibility that I'm not accepted, though, I don't wanna keep my hopes too high."

"Hyung," Tae looks up to him, "don't say that, of course you'll get accepted. You're like the 21st century Albert Einstein of Korea, only you're so much more handsome with those tiddies." Taehyung pokes Namjoon's chest, making him giggle.

"Hyung, when you get accepted, I'll be the first one to know right?"

"Of course, Tae."

"Good, cause if someone else does I'm gonna be so jealous." Taehyung yawns, laying his bundle of hair onto Namjoon's lap. Despite being 6 feet tall, he curls into a ball, holding onto Namjoon's legs as he shuts his eyes close.

Sometimes Taehyung can be a handful. He spends more than he earns, jokes around without limit and clings onto his hyung every chance he gets. He gets jealous easily and silently judges every one of Namjoon's friends. But despite all that, his love and admiration for Namjoon remains the purest there ever is.

Truthfully speaking, Namjoon's all Taehyung has left. After being adopted by the Kim family, they decided the guy was too much for their own good. Everytime Taehyung does the littlest mistake, they threaten him to be put back in the orphanage, until Taehyung has had enough and runs away from the one place he can no longer call home.

Namjoon still remembers that day very clearly, how his parents told him Taehyung had went for a walk, but as night approached his anxiety grew. Taehyung never came back. Without permission from his parents, Namjoon searched for hours for his little brother, until he was found a frail figure shivering on a small deadend pathway. Taehyung's almond eyes were puffy red as his usual strawberry stained lips quivers uncontrollably. At that moment, Taehyung wanted nothing but acceptance and love, and that was exactly what Namjoon was there for.

To this day, Taehyung still can't believe the little particles in the universe are brought together to create a human being so full of love in the shape of his brother.

Namjoon raised him to be the individual Taehyung is today. The annoyingly sweet, witty, fluffy Kim Taehyung.

Ever since then Namjoon has had minimal contact with his parents, not wanting to associate with people who won't accept his little brother for who he is. At first it was hard, he fought a lot considering he was treasured by them for his golden brain and biological senses. He doesn't mind, though, going through the hardships as long as he got Taehyung and Taehyung's got him. In Namjoon's eyes, Taehyung's special, and that's why so few people can understand his unique antiques.

"I love you, Namjoonie-hyung," Taehyung mumbles, already falling asleep.

Namjoon carries the younger to his room, tucking him in bed as he looks at him fondly.

"I love you too, Taehyungie."

A/N: hi! hope you're liking the story so far ☺️ pls don't forget to leave votes and comments, it motivates me to write more