one

"He's late again."

Disheveling his hair, Namjoon goes back inside his classroom to see his only student left. Dark brown pigtails attached to her head, the little girl rests on the table, crayons and coloured pencils messily sprawled all over the place. Her tiny snores fill up the room.

The teacher smiles, grabbing a small quilt from the drawer and draping it around her. He caresses her soft hair and lets her sleep, knowing her parent will come sooner or later.

A knock on the door averts his attention from the girl. Hoseok, the teacher next door, greets Namjoon cheerily. Striding over with confidence, the man jumps over and lands on one of the bright orange bean bags which matches with his hair.

Joon hushes him, pointing to the sleeping child next to him. She shifts in her seat, then continues to rest as the room falls silent. "Sorry," his colleague mumbles. "Wanna-", he clears his throat to lower his voice, "wanna grab some coffee?"

"I can't," Namjoon gestures, "Jiah's still here."

Hoseok pouts, then copies Namjoon as he stands up. "I'll help you clean the class then."

The pair work in silence, arranging the books into the shelves according to colour. Namjoon places the crayons back to its boxes while Hoseok dusts the dirty tables with a tablecloth, not wanting to get his hands dirty.

It wasn't until they were almost done that Hoseok speaks up, "phew, getting late, isn't it?"

"Hoseok, it's 3 pm."

He scowls. "Not what I meant. I mean," he theatrically sighs, "Mr Late-y Pants."

"Mr Late-y Pants?"

"Yeah, isn't that what we agreed to call him?"

"Wha-no, whatever." Namjoon sighs and focuses on erasing the doodles on his wooden desk. The pencil lead went through so deep into the wood, Namjoon is sure going to give his students a warning tomorrow.

Being a kindergarten teacher gives Namjoon a headache -no- multiple headache sometimes. Don't get him wrong, he loves teaching as much as he loves children, but he wishes they would stop drawing silly doodles on the walls, on the desks, or even shitting on the most inappropriate places at the most inappropriate times. It's not hygienic, at all, and he's always the one to blame in the end.

"I don't get it though. You're so nice to him."

"I'm always nice to everyone, Seok, it's one of my personality traits."

"Pssh, you're mean to me."

Namjoon rolls his eyes, taking a seat on the bean bag, "that's because you're annoying."

"Hey!" Hoseok scurries over beside him and pops a bubble gum into his mouth. He chews it loudly, trying to blow a bubble but failing. "I'm not annoying," the orange haired pouts.

"I'm just curious though. He's always late to pick her up, and always with those dirty clothes." He pauses, pitiful of the sleeping girl. "Can't you like scold him or something? I mean, I don't know much 'bout parenting but I know for sure he's not the best one."

"I don't wanna seem rude." Namjoon leans back on the beady material. "Besides, Jiah's a good kid, she always listens in class and hardly does any trouble."

"Yeah but-"

Namjoon pushes Hoseok up, almost letting him stumble over the bag. He lightly pats him on his waist, "Hoseok, get me some coffee, would ya? Pronto."

"But-"

"I'll expose that tattoo on your butt cheeks to the teacher groupchat if you don't!"

Hoseok's eyes widen in fear as he rushes outside the door. "Don't you dare!"

Now Namjoon was all alone again. Well, not really. Jiah's right beside him.

Coming to think of Hoseok's words, he could be right. Was he too lenient on Jiah's parent? It's not the first time he's been late this month. Namjoon can't count how many times he's accompanied Jiah for at least 30 minutes every day, although technically speaking, he doesn't really mind a quiet company.

"Papa," Jiah mumbles in her sleep.

It would be rude to tell him off. He has to find a way to interpret it in the nicest way possible, to keep his professionalism and theirs. He clicks his tongue, conflicted. Jiah's father, whom Namjoon has met a couple times, has been nothing but sweet to him. How can he scold such an innocent-looking guy?

It's his fault for not being disciplined, another voice in his head says. He's a bad parent and unless Namjoon wants to keep it that way, he should do what is right.

Namjoon's quarrelling with himself. He needs a toilet break.

"Papa?", Jiah mumbles again, adjusting her seat.

"Papa's almost here, sweetheart," Namjoon whispers before heading out.

When he comes back a few minutes later, Hoseok is standing in front of Joon's class, two cups of coffee in his hands. "You owe me one," he says with a pout on his face, handing his friend a cup.

Namjoon thanks him and turns the doorknob when he hears someone's voice talking from the inside. He steps in to see Jiah's dad lightly stroking her back, telling her it's time to go home. Jiah answers in a pout and nuzzles more into a ball.

"Mr Kim," the man quickly stands up and bows when he sees the teacher. "I apologise for being late."

He looks awfully tired. The bags under his eyes are evident, his chest heaving up and down heavily. Still, he manages to keep a small smile on his sculpted face.

"It's fine," Namjoon chuckles, "I enjoy some company."

Namjoon takes a sip of his coffee. It's still burning hot. His face squirms unpleasantly but hides it off when the other shifts his back to the teacher.

"She doesn't wanna wake up," the man whispers, admiration clear within his figure as he looks at his precious daughter. His fingers glide through her dark brown locks, gently placing a small kiss on her forehead.

"How's my daughter doing, Mr Kim? Is she good in class? Does she listen to you? Does she have a lot of friends?"

"Sure is, sir. Jiah's one of our shining stars in class. Everyone admires her," Namjoon states. It's true, Jiah may be shy at times but she's a very bright student.

He lets out a relieved sigh. "That's good, I'm glad she's doing well." The man picks her up and carries her on his shoulders easily, Namjoon sneaking a fleeting glance on his muscled arms.

"Papa?", Jiah calls, rubbing her eyes.

"Papa's here, baby," he coos, kissing the tip of her nose. Jiah wraps her tiny arms around her dad's neck and continues back to her slumber.

"Thank you for taking care of Jiah, Mr Kim. I can't thank you enough." He bows over and over, using his other hand to cup Jiah's head to keep it steady.

"No worries, Mister..?"

"Seokjin. It's Seokjin." Seokjin gives him a friendly smile.

"I'm Namjoon." He pulls out his hand but refrains when he sees Seokjin's hands are full.

"Mr Kim Namjoon?"

Namjoon coughs, adjusting his tie. "Y-yeah, that's me."

"I'll see you tomorrow, then, Mr Kim Namjoon." Seokjin bows once more and exits the room.

Crap. Namjoon forgot to tell him off.

Monday. He'll do it on Monday.

Definitely.