Chapter Thirteen

November

~Toshinori's POV~

The UA Entrance Exam was only three months away. Amy and Young Midoriya had been giving it their all during our training sessions. They'd both improved considerably since we'd begun training. Amy had a better handle on her quirk when she wasn't activating it at full power. I learned whenever she moved her hands to use her quirk that she was using it at full power and it was too much for her to control. She was improving even at full power but it still scared her.

In all honesty, it scared me a little too. Ayumi's quirk had never been that strong. I'd never seen Ayumi crush things with her quirk. While Amy was learning to control her quirk, I could see her growing frustrated with herself. No matter how hard she pushed herself she wasn't getting physically stronger. She was really hard on herself.

I'd started working at UA and was helping with preparations from the upcoming exams. Amy made me promise not to write her a letter of recommendation to get into UA, she was determined to get in on her own merits. She seemed to think if she got in on recommendation it would be insulting to kids like Young Midoriya who had to try so much harder than everyone else. It was a little disheartening that she didn't seem to see the improvement she'd made or that she was already well deserving of a spot at UA. I promised her I wouldn't do anything to help her get into UA.

The night before I'd helped her complete her application and told her I'd turn it in for her when I went to UA for a faculty meeting to go over some preparation for the exams. As I arrived at my Alma Mater, I got a faint feeling of nostalgia. As I walked up the steps to the main building, I was reminded of how often I'd sat on the steps with Ayumi. I'd gotten many a scolding sitting on these steps. Anytime I'd do bad on a test Ayumi would berate me for it before going over it with me as many times as it would take until I understood the material.

"Oh,there you are." I heard a familiar voice sound low to the ground and glanceddown to see the practically pocket-sized principal of UA, Nezu. He was veryshort, and always wore a nice suit. He had short white fur that looked reallysoft. I wasn't entirely sure what animal he resembled most, but appeared to bemodeled after a cat dog or bear, or combination of the three. 

"Ah, Principal Nezu, Sir." I bowed my head politely in greeting.

"What's that?" He indicated the envelope in my hand with Amy's application.

"Amy wants to take the entrance exam." I smiled proudly.

"Sorry, no can do." Principal Nezu replied in a sing song voice.

"Huh? What? Why?" I panicked. Was there some kind of rule that children of staff members couldn't attend? I didn't see any such rule.

"She's already been accepted in, so she can't take the exam." Principal Nezu said with a simple shrug of his shoulders before strolling ahead of me leading the way to the meeting room.

"Ah! Wait! Who recommended her? She wanted to get in on her own merit not because she's my dau-." I began but cut off as Principal Nezu stopped and turned to me with a smile.

"I can't really say who it was that recommended her but I can say it had nothing to do with you and it was all based on her merit and ability to be a hero." He smiled.

"Ah..." I wasn't so sure Amy would see it that way. Who could have possibly recommended her? I tried to think of everyone that I knew who was affiliated with heroes that had met her. Perhaps it was Best Jeanist, he met her at that charity event awhile back and seemed impressed with her saving the server that had tripped.

After the staff meeting and finishing up some last-minute things at UA before I started my teaching career in April, I returned home to find a package on the doorstep. It was from a storage facility from the states. I went inside and opened the box to find it filled with old photo albums, home movies and even a few of Ayumi's journals. I'd been asking them to send me everything I'd had put in storage over time so I could sort through everything from Ayumi and Amy's house in the states most of it I put into storage so Amy could take it with her whenever she was old enough and wanted to move out on her own.