Chapter Fifteen

~Toshinori's POV~

I hardly got any sleep the night before I was to teach my first class. The Ayumi I constantly conjured up as a figment of my imagination kept me up with her rage. I could hear her voice in the back of my mind berating me for not pummeling the boy that had been mean to Amy on her first day. As much as I had wanted to intervene, if I ran to her rescue every time a kid was mean to her, she'd never grow and they'd probably pick on her more. It would most likely do more harm than good.

Toshinori, I want that punk's head on a silver platter! Ayumi's voice echoed in my mind, he made her cry so you make him dead!

"That's a bit over dramatic." I mumbled to myself with a shake of my head, Ayumi always had a flare for drama. After a mostly restless night, I looked over at my alarm clock, it was time to get up.

After a quick shower and change, I popped out of my bedroom to wake Amy up but paused as I spotted her in the kitchen wearing an apron over her school uniform. She'd been quiet most of the night and I had a feeling she was beating herself up over her first day of school.

"Good morning." Her soft sweet voice instantly brought a smile to my lips and washed away all the worries that had kept me up at night.

"Good morning, Princess." As I stepped into the kitchen I was hit with the powerful aroma of various blends of spices. "What are you doing?" I asked her curiously as I looked to the skillets atop the stove.

"Making you breakfast, it's your first day teaching, you have to start the day off right." Amy said sweetly as she steered me over to the table already set. There was a steaming cup of coffee already prepared how I liked it sitting in front of my seat.

I smiled and took my seat, "You didn't have to do all this."

"I wanted to." She said sincerely. Her bright baby blue eyes looked a little red and puffy, like she'd been crying recently.

Was she still upset about yesterday? "How do you feel about UA so far?" I asked her curiously, I had to approach the subject delicately, but knowing her, she'd pick up on it regardless.

She avoided meeting my gaze and retreated to the stove to finish making breakfast, "It seems like a really good school..."

"And your classmates?" I probed.

"Most of them seem nice." She replied quietly as she prepared two plates of food.

"I could have a talk with that young ma-." I began.

"No!" Her face turned a bright shade of scarlet, "i-it's fine...it was my fault for losing control..." Her voice was barely above a whisper as she returned and set both plates in front of me.

Apparently, it was a vegan week as there were no eggs or dairy. One plate had a delectable breakfast hash with potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and onions with an intricate blend of spices. The second plate had some vegan blueberry pancakes and homemade berry jam with a side of fresh fruit. I noticed she wasn't eating and frowned.

"Aren't you going to eat?" I asked, worried.

"I'm not hungry." Amy replied softly before going to clean up the kitchen. She looked tired. I had a feeling I wasn't the only one who had a restless night.

"Do you know what your mother would have done if she'd been there yesterday?" I asked her with a small smile.

Amy's bright blue eyes danced with laughter, "something violent."