What a tangled web...

They tossed ideas and brainstormed well into the day. When they'd reached all the logical conclusions, there was silence. This plan had a hundred ways it could go wrong. Yet could achieve everything if it worked.

"Are you sure you'll be able to pull this off?" Lyra asked Nicco doubtfully. He laughed, straightening up from where he was leaning on the wall. His dark eyes gleamed with amusement.

"It wouldn't be the first time I've dealt in subterfuge. I can handle it."

"It is a risk you don't have to take, especially given what happened the last time when you were caught," Romulus said. Nicco shrugged carelessly at the mention of the torture he'd endured.

"So I won't get caught. We're all taking risks. Speaking of which, when are the three of you going to complete the bond?"

A sudden chill went through the air as Antares and Romulus exchanged glances.

"Who says we haven't?" Antares asked pleasantly.

Nicco grew serious. "Every vampire that smells you. The blood isn't mixed enough for there to have been a full bond made. Romulus, you know better than this. For this to work, the three of you have to be bonded. Otherwise,..." he trailed off as Romulus glared at him.

"Otherwise what?" Lyra asked. Nicco hesitated.

"If separated, they could force a bond on any of you and destroy your family," he said finally.

"We'll talk about it," Romulus said.

"That's dangerous territory right now." Antares cautioned in the family link.

"We're living in dangerous territory," Lyra replied.

Romulus looked at Antares for a moment then at Lyra. "Could Antares and I have a moment?" Lyra nodded and the two men went over into a corner.

"We shouldn't be having this kind of conversation without her. She's a part of this now." Antares said in a low voice. Romulus acknowledged the disapproval.

"Agreed. This is more about her keeping Nicco talking while we talk this over. Not excluding her." He reassured him. "We'll fill her in after he leaves."

"Do you not trust him?" Antares questioned, glancing at where Lyra and Nicco chatted.
"As long as we are the best bet at keeping Leonardo safe, I trust him to protect this place," Romulus replied carefully. Antares smiled a bit and cocked his head.

"So no. You don't."

"We've had several moments of weakness as of late, my love. He may not see us as the best bet."

"Speaking of that weakness, there would be risks to this that she needs to know."

"She won't care." Romulus pointed out with a smile. "She's fierce like that."

"I care," Antares said softly. "I fear for the both of you." Romulus stroked the side of the other man's face, adoring him.

"I know. We'll talk to her. Make sure she understands." he reassured.

"We could self destruct, Rome."

"Or we could succeed beyond our wildest dreams. It is all a matter of perspective." Romulus countered with a grin. It slid away when the worry remained in Antares' electric eyes. "We're already self-destructing." He pointed out after a moment. "This is a chance to pull out of that spiral. We should take it."

Antares closed his eyes and let out a breath. "The things the two of you get me into." He said after a moment then opened his eyes to meet Romulus' black gaze. "Alright. Now let's go tell her."