Willow Lake

"Rose! Don't forget to pack your towel!", my mother shouted from the kitchen as I grab the keys to my Jeep.

"I already grabbed one!" I fired back, opening the door.

"Love you! Have fun! Make wise choices!" Her motherly gaze unwavering through our shot gun house.

"Yes mom." My tone is of annoyance, for the fact she says that, every time I leave the house.

Closing the door behind me, I threw my duffle bag over my shoulder. Hustling to my blue Jeep, I tossed my bag to the passenger side. I slid my keys into the ignition, with a slight turn, my baby, she started to purr. Jeep Jane is her name. This old girl has been amazing to me and I try to do the same for her. Changing her oil when it's needed, fixing all her little aches and brakes, when she goes awry. I have had her since I was fourteen my early birthday present. She was such a good deal, my parents couldn't pass her up.

Jane is a 1985 CJ7, previously owned by an older couple who barely used her, after redoing her. My pretty blue girl she is! My dad taught me all I needed to know about her. How the engine works, how to change a tire or the windshield wipers. He even taught me how to, change the oil and well everything else from fuses to power steering. He taught me how to take Jane apart, and how to put her back together, again. My dad's a mechanic, who owns JOE'S SHOP, downtown next to the police department. Pretty successful to since the officers take their personal and duty vehicles to him.

Cranking the radio, to hear the end of summer jam. My hair blew wildly in the wind, while my aviator sun glasses sit comfortably, on the bridge of my nose. I just love the feeling of freedom away from the rents, away from responsibilities. Just away from it all, just Jane and the road. Pulling into my friend Dena's house, who lives just out side of town. She was sitting on her porch steps, awaiting my arrival. My music still blaring, she yells something back to her dad. Running to Jane she tosses her bag in the back and jumped in grinning ear to ear.

"YOU READY!" She shouts over the music.

"HELL YEAH!" My voice matching her pitch.

Shifting Janes gears, we reversed out of her drive. Off to the end of summer lake party, we go! Willow Lake is the hottest place to be every summer. Why? Because it's the only lake around for miles. It's thirteen point five miles round to be exact. Not only that, but it's called Willow Lake, because the trees surrounding it are well willows. It's so beautiful and private, the make-out spot year round. Covered with colorful flowers ranging from red to purple. The whole damn rainbow and more. This place literally looks like magic, or heaven, or just bliss.

Rapping out to Cardi B, Dena hitting every word as it spins from my radio. Shouting and wooing as the wind hits our faces.  The air in our hair becoming tangled messes. We arrived at the lake parking next to Killian and James. The two sit in a red 1999 mustang, tinted windows down. Turning down my radio, Dena piped up looking over me to Killian in the passenger seat.

"Hey babe! Ready to swim!?" Her love for this nerd kills me. Killian Sandfree, Denas first love. The captain of the debate team. Such a nerd a cute nerd, but still a nerd. Stepping out of the stang, he struts over to Dena who is already in front of my car. The two embrace one another in a passionate kiss. Her hands combing through his sandy blond hair.

Twisting my key back, the engine throttles down making Jane stop purring. James pops out of his car and walks towards me, dead faced. It's like he hates emotions, I swear. The kid could learn to express himself every now and then.

"Hey Rose." His voice sounded plain and monotoned.

"Sup James." I said, nodding my head. Before my eyes meet his gaze.