The Walk

James and I walked hand in hand to his mustang. He opened my door for me, then walked to his side and took his seat. His face still lit like a diamond shimmering in the sun. His smile was so infectious, I couldn't help but be just as happy as he. He loved me, and for a long time. I was just so blinded, I never stopped to take a good look. A look at the boy who has always been there, watching in the background.

The friend zone.

His hand slipped under my palm, interlocking our fingers. The hair on his arm tickled my thigh, making me shiver. The car windows were down, allowing the wind to ruffle his blond hair. His blue eyes showing a hint of amusement. He knew how he made me feel, and he was lavishing in it. I smiled rolling my eyes playfully.

This boy.

He drove us, tell we stopped at the one place I wouldn't have thought. A place holding happy and sad memories for me. We came back to Willow Lake. The place I died, the place James saved me. A lake of death, but also of love. Just to the right sat the ridge we climbed. Memories of Eros and Aeshma clouding my thoughts, until I remember James's lips caressing mine, our first kiss. 

This place held so many memories, good and bad. But most importantly, all of my good memories are of James. He opened my door taking my hand, he's so old fashioned, and I'm absolutely, positively in love with it. We started our walk, heading to one of the trails. It started out paved, like the sidewalks, but the farther we went, the path turned into the beautiful nature that surrounded it.

Willow trees line the forest, guiding the path leading up to the jumping cliff. The path we took, just before I stopped breathing.

"You ok?" James asked, squeezing my hand in his.

"Yeah," I answered him, wit a slight hesitation in my voice. "This place just has a lot of memories." I went on, describing my gut feelings.

"I know." Was all he said in a sweet soft voice. Almost filled with love, and sorrow.

This place held the same memories he had. The moment he jumped in, saving me. Seeing the dead body latched to my leg. Performing CPR on my breathless chest. But also, our first date, our first kiss.

Our first fight. My subconscious liked to add.

This lake meant the same to him as it did me. Our beginning, though it's dark, bloomed into something beautiful.

Our forever.

"You look so beautiful in the sun." James admires, biting his lip.

I hadn't noticed the closer we came to the edge, the more the sun peeked through the trees. It was a beautiful day, and he said the right thing, at the right time. I felt my cheeks, heat, causing the flush to tent my complexion. But he couldn't see, from the cake of makeup, covering damage. I wonder if he saw the ugly, how he would feel about it.

If he would run, and avoid me at all costs, like the plague. Or if he would cradle me, cupping his wide hand on the back of my head. Pressing me deep into his chest, so that I would never feel pain again. I choose the latter, James has always been the gentleman. Kind, strong, protective, even though, I'm a girl who can handle her own.

"You look pretty handsome, yourself." I added, still feeling the heat in my cheeks.

We walked to the edge, his hands cradling my hip next to his. A tight squeeze, molding me to his figure, the perfect puzzle piece. I'm not one to think, so cliché, but we were made for each other. Everything he did, made me feel special. Every second I was with him, the world stopped spinning.