Dads Truth

Without another word I took fifty dollars out of my pocket and left it on the table. Signaling to Dena we were leaving. Madam Tanda didn't utter a goodbye as the bell dinged, signaling our departure. Sliding my phone out of my back pocket, I read the time. Two thirty flashed across the screen, with a click of the side button. We had to leave if I was going to make it to the hospital on time. The moment the door closed behind our butts, Dena broke out of her cone of silence.

"What the hell was all that about?!" Her tone both confused and standoffish.

"I not entirely sure." Shrugging my shoulders. I needed to lie, I needed to keep Dena as far away from this as possible.

"Well, if you don't know then she must be freakin crazy. I mean she kept saying you have darkness in you. I have known you my whole life you are far from darkness." She said with conviction in her words. She believed me, and I was grateful. Yes, I hated lying to her and she believed my lie so easily. Trust is, it was a must when friends are like sisters. And I felt like shit for not telling her the truth.

The drive back to town seamed faster than the drive to the city. Dena and I just jammed to Janes Radio, leaving words unspoken. I could tell she wasn't at ease from early, like I was still replaying every word Madam Tanda said. When I finally pulled in to Dena's drive way, she looked at me one last time before waving goodbye. I wasn't so sure she truly believed my lie from early now.

Janes engine purred, from Dena's to the hospital. Deans little green truck already parked up front. I was so ready to see dad to ask him questions. I would hate to see my father's ghost. Yes, a gift but also a curse. To see but not be able to touch, to not feel is heart warming hug one last time. I needed to stop thinking like this. He's fine. He pulled through and nothing was going to stop me, from curling in his bed, for a father daughter cuddle.

Laughter was heard from the end of the hall way, the closer I came to his room the louder the laughter became. When my eyes fell upon a room filled with love and joy, rejoicing in Joes recovery. My brothers standing beside his bed, my mother curling her fingers against his scalp. My uncle Tim stood at the end of my father's bed. Seeing everyone's happiness just melted my heart. But I also felt like the odd man out.

Without a seconds delay I stepped in the room making my presence known. My father's wide smile, stretched across his pale face.

"Rose Bud! Come here!" He said while swatting his bed side. I took that as my invitation to get my cuddles and curl under his arm. My mother stepped to the side, allowing my entrance. She didn't seam mad at me anymore, so I guess that was a good sign.

"Tim would you give us all a second." My father asked his younger brother to step out.

"Only a second." He said cocking his eyebrow. Before stepping out of the room and shutting the door.

The happiness in the room started to fade. My father's arm tightened around my shoulders. So I looked up to greet his loving eyes.

"Your mother told me what you heard. So I guess it's time to clear the air." He said in a gruff tone. His voice still sounded dry. Probably from the breathing tube they inserted.

I decided not to speak but to nod my head in understanding. All my doubts were about to be confirmed or denied. My mother's hands started brushing my hair, while my father spoke.

"Yes, Dr. Finley is your biological father. Your mother and I had issues, things happened and then you were born. I am your FATHER. You will always be my daughter. Just like Dean and Damion will always be your brothers." His eyes wondering over to the two sitting quietly. Their eyes beaming at me with, love I guess. With that moment my father kissed the top of my head. Signaling the end of his confession, but I was far from done questioning.

"Mom, Dean, Damion, I would like to talk to dad alone. Please." I tried my best to sound as sweet as I could. Mom didn't want to give me the answers, But I was sure dad would. All their eyes lingered on me as if what I asked was impossible for them to do. My father signaled his hand for them to leave. So my brothers stepped out first, while my mother looked at my father with knowing eyes.

Once the door was securely shut I shifted on the bed, sitting with my feed dangling to the side. With my mothers look I was still hoping dad would tell me what I wanted to know.

"What is it?" He asked.

"How long has everyone know?" I was genuinely curious.

"I knew from the beginning. Dean and Damion found out when they were in Junior high." He spoke truthfully.

"Why does Dr. Finley call mom Humming bird?" This was the all knowing question. I had hoped he knew the answer to.

"Well, I should start from the beginning. Dr. Finley, your mother and I all went to high school together. Finley and your mother dated from freshman to senior year. He called your mother his Humming bird because she was always to beautiful, she moved with grace and elegance. While her blond hair shimmered in the sun light. Finley has always loved science and so, freshman year in environmental science. Your mother and Finley wrote a paper together, they chose to write about the humming bird. Finely always compared her to the beautiful little bird. After then her nickname became humming bird." He's story was cute about my bio father and mother. I never compared my mother to anything but know that he says it. Humming bird does match her description.

"Why did mom not want me to know?" I felt a little hurt seeping from my words. I could tell my father could feel my pain. Because his hand found mine and he lightly squeezed.

"We didn't want you to feel unwanted. You are my Rose Bud, my daughter and the sister to your brothers. They saw you no different then a full sibling. Why give you heart ache and pain when we can simply avoid what doesn't need said. Finley only took interest in getting to know you the last summer." My father sounded a little bitter about that last part. But I understood his need to want to protect me, just like I want to protect Dena. I didn't feel hurt, I felt relief. Slowly but surly my anxiety that was built like the Great Wall of china, started to crumble. It was like floating like a feather.

A small tear left my eyes, it's path running down my cheek. My father tugged my hand, signaling he wanted to hug me once more. He truly is my father, a special man, who can love a daughter without his blood. I felt blessed to have him and I'm sure he felt the same way, the way he was embracing me. When a knock on the door was heard.

My father faintly  yelled, to 'come in'. When my uncle Tim stick his brown haired head in.

"I said a second." He smiled. While we all erupted in laughter, the door swinging open. Showing casing my brothers and mother joining in on the joke. Laughter once again filled the air, they accepted me, loved me. We were whole again. Until he walked through the door.

"Rose, may I speak with you?" The doctors in.

*******************************************

O man I am on a roll to night! Two chapters y'all! You are welcome! Lol idk what got in to me but I just can't stop writing! This book might be coming to an end quicker than I thought!

Enjoy!

Don't forget to Vote! Comment! Share my book on your page is you like it!!! Tell your followers 😜