The Beginning of the End- Hide the Boy

Sorry for the long wait. Been really busy lately, but at least I was able to update. You are all in luck, because this Sunday... IS MY BIRTHDAY! I hope you all enjoy the chapter.

I don't own anything except for Sam.

Sam's POV

"I finished tending the vegetable garden," I reported to Mrs. Grover as I whipped my dirty hands on my apron.

Mrs. Grover looked over at my work and nodded her head. "Well done Samantha." I smiled and was about to leave when she said, "Now I need you to take the vegetables to the cook."

I groaned. I really don't want to see the cook. For some reason she always glares at me and even when I take a little piece of bread, she always chases me out of the kitchen. I nodded my head and took the basket of vegetables. I swear I heard Mrs. Grover chuckling behind me. I was walking in the east corridor, when I heard something.

"Help!"

I nearly dropped the basket and looked around. The only person in the quarter besides me was another maid. I slowly placed the basket down and looked around. Then I heard the voice again.

"Help me! Please."

I walked out the door an enter the square. I looked around to see everyone was minding their own business. At the corner of my eye, I saw Merlin walking down the stairs. Did he hear the cry of help to? I looked around, and to my surprise I saw a little boy hiding behind a stone ledge. And nearly gasped when I realized who cried for help. It was Mordred. The boy who would grow up and kill Arthur. Oh not this episode! This is the episode where Merlin had to make a really hard decision. Why this episode? I was surprised to see that Mordred was staring at Merlin, not at me.

"Please. You have to help me. Help me."

I looked over to see the guards entering the Square, searching for the boy. One of the head guards commanded to the others, "Search in there. Take the other side." He walked over to a commoner and asked, "You, did you see a boy run in here?"

Mordred's eyes were in fear, afraid he was going to get caught. He looked back at my brother and whispered telepathically, "They're searching for me."

Merlin looked at the boy carefully and asked in his mind, "Why are they after you?"

I was even more surprised that I can hear both Mordred and Merlin's conversation. Mordred closed his eyes and said five words that shook me to the core.

"They're going to kill me."

I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard one of the guards called out, "Guards! In here!"

Making sure Mordred doesn't hear me, I looked at my brother and said in my mind, "Merlin, come over here. I know where we can hide him."

Merlin slightly jumped before looking over to me. He could see I was hiding by the side door. Merlin ran over to him and grabbed my hand. I looked back at Mordred to see he was staring at me curiously. I felt a shiver go down my spine. I took a deep breath and whispered to Merlin that the coast is clear.

"This is my sister. She can help us." Mordred looked at the guards before Merlin said in the boy's mind, "This way. Run. Run!"

Mordred took a deep breath before getting up and running towards us. I could see he was holding his wounded arm. One of the guards spotted him and shouted out, "Hey. There he is! Alert the rest of the guards!"

I did not think as I instantly grabbed Mordred into my arms and carried him. Merlin and I ran up the Griffin Stairways. I could hear Mordred groaning and shivering.I placed my hand on his head and whispered, "Sh, don't worry. Everything will be ok."