↯chapter four: SMOKE AND MIRRORS↯

〘 chapter iv: SMOKE AND MIRRORS〙

Harry slowly climbed up into the North tower, rubbing at his tired eyes

Harry slowly climbed up into the North tower, rubbing at his tired eyes. It was well past curfew but per usual, Harry couldn't sleep. Everything was far too loud and Harry needed to get his head space cleared out. He certainly couldn't do that with the other Gryffindor boys snoring up a storm. Just being in a room full of sleeping people, wishing you were one of them, was torture for Harry. He needed to get out. He needed to go somewhere quiet. And so Harry went where he always did, the mostly abandoned North Tower. 

It was used mainly for storage now but from one of the windows, you could see out across all of Hogwarts and that's what Harry liked about it. It was a nice place to sit, get some fresh air and just think about life. It's a place Harry had told nobody about. Not Hermione or Ron and not even Ginny. It was a place that was all his own, a place where he could get away from everyone. It had been a place he had found late one night a long time ago when he couldn't sleep. It might just be his favorite room in the entire castle. 

When Harry pushed open the oak door and stepped into the room, he was surprised to see someone sitting in his favorite seat. Harry paused in the doorway as a cold wind washed over him. Whoever it was, they had the window open and were sitting right on the edge of the window, looking out across the scene bellow. They had lit only three of the many candles in the room but it wasn't enough light for Harry to see who it was. "Hello?" Harry said cautiously. 

"Bloody hell." A voice muttered. The person turned to look at him and Harry's eyebrows furrowed together when he realized it was Draco Malfoy. "Potter." Draco said. There was a cigarette butt between his fingers that Harry hadn't noticed before. He slowly put it to his lips and took a long drag.

"Oh... Hello Malfoy." Draco blew out smoke slowly, staring at him. Harry realized he was probably waiting for him to say something more but... Harry didn't know what to say. What was Draco doing up here? How did he know about this place? Draco turned away from him with a slight shake of his head. Then, Harry did something dumb. "You smoke?" Harry asked, watching Draco put the cigarette to his lips again. The end of it burned a bright orange as Draco inhaled.