Chapter 11 ~ I didn't think you were a bad guy

Isla's POV

I type in the address 2124 River Rose Lane on my phone and follow the directions to get there. I arrive at a beautiful two-story brick house. I park my car in the driveway and make my way to the front door. For some reason I am more nervous than I expected. I ring the doorbell and I am soon greeted by a beautiful woman who is in her late forties.

"Hello." She says cheerfully.

"Hi, I'm Isla Camarillo. I spoke to Ms. Owens over the phone."

"Yes, that's me. Please come in." She says ushering me into the living room. "Please call me Beth. Would you like something to drink? I have tea, water lemonade..."

"No, thank you."

She looks at her watch and sighs. "I'm so sorry Isla. They seem to be running late."

"It's okay. Would you mind if I ask you a few questions while we wait?"

She gives me a warm smile. A smile that reminds me of my mom's. "Of course, you can ask me some questions."

"How many kids do you care for here and what are their ages?"

Her smile drops a little. "Well, I am permitted to foster up to six kids. I have six kids. All six are boys. The three oldest are eighteen. You will be meeting with them. The younger ones are eight, ten and eleven. I am not sure how much longer the three oldest ones will be here though." She is no longer smiling. "Like I said the three oldest are eighteen, they are not considered adults by the state. I no longer receive funding from the government to help cover their cost. Plus, the state wants me to let them go so I can foster three more younger kids. Honestly if it wasn't for a donation that I received recently I don't know how I would be able to keep them here." Tears start streaming down her face. "I've never been a foster parent for the money. I love each and every kid that comes through my door. I don't want to just kick them out because they're eighteen. Once a kid enters into my home, I keep them until they are either adopted or age out. I won't kick a child out just because they have bad behavior. I understand that this must be difficult for them. Every child I foster, I treat as if they're my own flesh and blood. That is why I'm doing everything in my power to at least keep the oldest three here until they graduate high school. I don't understand why the state doesn't understand that age is just a number. How are they supposed to afford housing and worry about high school?"

Hearing Beth talk about her foster kids breaks my heart. They don't deserve to be thrown to the curb. Beth seems like an amazing foster parent. She really cares for her kids. Not all foster homes are like that. I give her a hug. "You sound like an amazing foster mom." The front door opens and in walks three guys that I didn't expect to see.

"Sorry Beth for running late. We didn't...." Lucas stops mid-sentence when he sees me sitting next to Beth.

Lucas' POV

Beth starts to introduce us. "Boys, this is..."

"Isla." I say before she has a chance to. What the hell?

Beth looks shocked at first. "Umm... yes. She's the young lady I was telling the three of you about."

I grit my teeth. "Beth, would it be okay if we talk to her in private?" Beth seems hesitant at first but agrees and then walks upstairs to help the younger ones with their homework.

"What are you doing here? Did you already know about us? What are you playing at Isla?" I growl.

Nick and Hayden both look pale, and for a moment Isla looks scared. She stands up to face me and stutters, "Wh-what do you mean? I'm not playing at nothing. I-I had no clue about the three of you."