Chapter 30 ~ I love you more than death

Luke/Lucas' POV

Worried that something is wrong with Beth or one of the other foster kids, Hayden peels out of the parking lot like a mad man. The ride is silent, both of us lost in our own thoughts. We make it to Isla's house to pick up my car in half the time it would normally take. I jump out of the SUV and run to it, tripping on a rock, which causes me to fall. My pants are torn and there is a small cut on my knee, but I don't have time to worry about that now.

I start my car and it roars to life. I race out of Isla's neighborhood, heading to my own, Hayden on my tail. As I pull up to Beth's, I see two police officers standing next to her. Beth's face is red and puffy from crying. My car is barely off, but I am already out of it and running towards Beth.

As I approach Beth, Hayden falls in step with me. "Beth, what's wrong?" I ask.

"Sir, I need you to back up," says the first officer.

Hayden and I give each other a look. "What's going on?" Hayden asks.

The second officer clears his throat. "Tell us your names please."

We look at Beth for answers, but she is too busy crying to even look at us. "I'm Lucas Montgomery and this is Hayden Gear."

The first office taps Beth's shoulder. "Ms. Owens, will please explain to him the situation."

Beth nods her head at the officer and her eyes soon meet mine. "I'm so sorry, Lucas. I received a phone call saying you are a danger and a threat. You are no longer allowed to step foot on my property without it affecting the other kids who live here."

A danger? Hayden must have been thinking the same thing because he is the first to speak. "What are you talking about Beth? You are just going to kick him out?" Hayden asks angrily.

"Son," the second officer says. "There was an anonymous phone call saying that he's been getting into a lot of fights and trouble. He is considered an adult by the state. If he is fighting, he is a danger and threat to everyone who lives in this house."

"Are you kidding me?" Hayden argues back. "The only fights he has been in have been to protect a friend of ours who has been bullied and almost sexually assaulted."

"Beth?" My voice shakes. "Where am I supposed to go? What am I supposed to do? This has to be a misunderstanding." She shakes her head and cries some more.

Not fully understanding what is going on, Hayden and I try to enter the house to get my stuff, but the second officer blocks our way. "I'm sorry, son, but you're not allowed to go inside. You need to be completely off the property."

"What about my stuff?" My fist is balled up, ready to punch the officer.

Hayden places his arm on my shoulder. "Come on. Let's go. You will ride in the SUV with me to pick up Isla and Nick." Hayden pulls me into the SUV and he quickly speeds off before I can try and jump out.

Slamming my fist on the dashboard I scream in frustration before crying. "What am I supposed to do, Hayden? I have nowhere to go, and I can't even get what little I do own."

Hayden pulls over to the side of the road. "Luke, do you really think you have nowhere to go?" He laughs humorlessly and rolls his eyes. "Dude, do you think Isla is going to let you be homeless? She's already said that she would let you move in if you ever needed too."

"I can't. Things are finally okay between the four of us. If I move in it's going to cause a lot of problems. Nick will be especially unhappy about it."

"You're crazy if you think Isla will let you be homeless or live anywhere else besides with us. As for Nick, if he's not happy, he'll just have to get over it." Hayden hugs me in a brotherly way and I start crying on his shoulder. "Dude, even though I might not admit it, you're still my best friend. You're a brother to me. Yes, you made a mistake. A huge mistake, but I'm not going to turn my back on you, and you know Isla won't either. Isla still loves you. Maybe not in the way you want her too, but you will always hold a special place in her heart. No matter how hard anyone else tries, they can never replace you." A few minutes after I have stopped crying Hayden pulls back on the road and drives to the school to pick up Nick and Isla.