Chapter 21 ~ I don't want her to spit in mine

Isla's POV

The fresh scent of flowers and the bright light of the sun peeking through the window causes me to wake up. I blink the sleep out of my eyes and notice a beautiful flower bouquet in a glass vase next to my nightstand. It's absolutely gorgeous. Next to the flowers is a small card. I open it and it reads

Beautiful flowers for an amazing, beautiful, sweet girl.

I went to get us coffee, before we go home.

~ H

A huge smile stretches its way across my face. Hayden is super sweet, and I'm really looking forward to getting to know him. I swing my legs over my hospital bed and decide to take a quick shower. I feel gross, since I haven't had a decent shower since I've been here. When the nurse came in to check on me this morning, she disconnected my monitors, since I'm going home today. I had given the nurse a huge hug as she set my arms free. I hate feeling tied down because of all the stupid monitors, blood pressure cuff, and IVs. It's embarrassing having to have someone help me to untangle the wires so that I could go to the bathroom.

I walk into the small bathroom without needing to call for help and find the clothes that Hayden bought for me to change into. Again, he is so sweet. I turn the water on to let it warm up while I brush my teeth. Once the water is hot enough, I jump and get clean. I wash my hair twice with shampoo before putting in the conditioner and rinsing that out too.

After my shower, I dry off and air my hair for a bit before wrapping it in a towel. Then I put on the clothes that Hayden bought for me—a cute blue t-shirt and white shorts. Finally, I release my hair from the towel and comb it out.

I look in the mirror after brushing my hair and am not happy with what I see. I'm pale and far too skinny. The doctor is right; I need to start taking better care of myself. If not for me then at least for Isabelle and Isaac.

Stepping out of the bathroom, I'm greeted with the strong aroma of coffee. I smile at Hayden as he hands me mine. "Are you ready to go home?" he asks.

"Most definitely! Thank you for the flowers and coffee."

"Anything for you, Love," Hayden says as he finishes packing the few items that I have accumulated since arriving at the hospital. After Hayden gathers all my stuff, he tells me that he will meet me in the pick-up turn around. He exits the room carrying my things with him.

A few short minutes later, a nurse walks in with a wheelchair to escort me outside. "Are you ready to leave?" she asks cheerfully.

"Yes ma'am," I reply as we enter the elevator.

"Your boyfriend is a very sweet guy. I've seen the way he looks at you when the two of you were laying in the hospital bed." I blush at the thought of Hayden and I laying in bed together. "Did you know that whenever he wasn't up here, he called to check on you every couple of hours? He's a keeper," she tells me, smiling.

"Th-thank you?" I say, not really knowing how to reply. "But he's just a really good friend."

The nurse looks shocked. "Oh, sweetheart, that boy really likes you. Maybe even loves you. If you two aren't together yet, you two will be one day. I wish I had a guy that would look at me the way he looks at you. That's all love in his eyes." Hayden can't feel that strongly towards me, can he? We've only known each other for a short while.

When we get to the turnaround, Hayden quickly jumps out of the car and runs to the passenger side to open the door for me. He then politely thanks the nurse for her help. As he walks back to the driver side, the nurse leans in and whispers in my ear, "Remember what I told you about him. He's a keeper."