Chapter 45 ~ I want to keep you

Nick's POV

After Isla told us about moving, we ended up watching Christmas movies for the rest of the night until everyone got tired and went to bed. I went to the bathroom to change into some sweatpants to sleep in. As I was about to open the door to the room I was sleeping in, I heard a noise come from the living room.

I go to check it out and find Sofia sitting alone on the couch watching the fire. "Hey, are you okay?"

She smiles but I can see tears in her eyes. "I guess." She whispers. I hate seeing her upset. She is always so full of life and bubbly even after all she and her family have been through.

"Mind if I join you?" She nods her head and pats the couch. "Thanks. So, I don't know if you noticed or not, but I never gave you my gift."

She thinks about it for a second before lightly laughing. "No, I guess I didn't notice."

I had been thinking about what Isla and I had talked about in the car on the way to the grocery store, and I think Isla is right. I do like Sofia. I had borrowed the car a few days ago and bought Sofia a different gift that I wanted to give to her when we were alone. I pull out a black velvet box and hand it to her. "I didn't forget about your gift. I just wanted to give it to you when we were alone."

She opens it and her eyes widen. "Oh my gosh! I love it!" She hands me the necklace. "Would you help me put it on?" I take the necklace out of her hand and help her put it on. "It's beautiful, Nick."

"Not as beautiful as you," I whisper. She blushes and fiddles with the diamond. We both sit in silence facing the fire. There is just something about Sofia that I find so attractive. I mean, of course, she is gorgeous, but there is so much more to her. Her personality is amazing. She is crazy but not in a bad way. Most girls think I'm hot, but once they get to know me, they find me too immature. They want the 'bad boy', but that's not the real me. I'm funny, goofy and I like to play around. I'm basically an overgrown kid. Sofia knows all of that, but she doesn't judge me for it. She is accepting like Isla. When I first met Kaira, I liked her. She stood up for Isla against Chelsea, but it was all an act. Plus, she was really violent. Sofia on the other hand is super sweet, funny, and crazy. When things get bad, she doesn't run away from them. "I really like you, Sofia." I blurt out not even realizing what I'm doing.

"You what?"

I rub the back of my neck. "I like you. Like more than a friend." I admit. I mean, I already said it so there's no taking it back.

"Really?"

"Yeah, I really do."

She turns red and I find it adorable. "I don't know what to say other than I really like you too."

She leans her head on me and I wrap my arm around her. "This has to be the best Christmas I've ever had," I whisper in her ear.

She smirks at me. "I bet I can make it better." She sits up and kisses me. At first, I just sit there like an idiot not realizing what's going on, but then I start kissing her back. Holy crap! She is an amazing kisser. Our lips move in sync and everything seems so right. This must be the feeling that Luke and Hayden have with Isla. Everything in the world is right. Wow! Now I feel bad for whomever one doesn't end up with Isla. I would hate to feel this way about someone and then they ended up with someone else. Damn it! Why am I even thinking about them while I'm kissing Sofia? I'm just going to enjoy this kiss.

We finally pull apart and all I can say is, "Wow!"

Sofia giggles, "Yeah. I've been wanting to do that for a while."

"Really?" She wanted that as much as I have. "You're right, that did make Christmas better, but I can top that."

"Really? You think you can top that?" She asks with a smirk.