Chapter 62 ~ There can't be an us (Pt. 1)

A/N: I decided to post a chapter today since we reach 1K views. Thank you to everyone who has read this story!!!

"Um Luke can we talk?" She whispers.

"Sure, Sunshine."

Luke/Lucas's POV

Isla walks into my room and takes a seat near me on my bed. "Luke, I know you love me, and I love you too but- "

"But the way you love me isn't the same way that I love you, am I right?" With watery eyes, she nods her head. "It's Hayden, isn't it?" Once again, she nods her head and I feel my heart break into a thousand pieces. A thousand pieces that only she can put back together, but she won't.

"Luke, I'm really sorry. I-I just can't move past you kissing Chelsea. I tried, I really did, but every time my feelings for you start to grow, the vision of you kissing her creeps back in my mind. I'm too afraid that you will do it again to me. I know you said you wouldn't, but the only reason you kissed her in the first place was to hurt me. Luke, you wanted to hurt me, and you did."

I take several deep breaths trying to calm myself down. I have to be careful on how I handle this. If I let my anger get the best of me, I may lose her all together. "Isla, I know what I did was wrong. Fuck." I growl. "Of course, I know I fucked up, but Hayden can't give you what I can. Sure, he's a great guy, but what about our history. It was one fucking mistake Isla. I'm only human and we both know I'm fucked up in the head. Without you, I'm a goner."

"Luke, please you have to understand. I loved you. I wanted nothing more than to be with you. You had my heart and you broke it. I can't be yours in that way, but that doesn't mean I want our friendship to end. We've been best friends since kindergarten."

"I'm sorry, Isla, but I can't watch you be with my best friend. I can't live in the same house knowing you gave your heart to someone else. I want you to be happy, I do, but I can't be happy watching you with someone else."

"L-Luke, what are you saying?"

I stand up and start pacing in front of her. "Fuck!" I yell. "Fuck. Isla, you can't be doing this to me. If you are going to choose Hayden, I can't stay here anymore." The anger becomes too much for me and with all the anger and heartbreak boiling over inside of me I punch my bedroom wall. As the sheetrock crumbles to the ground, so does all of my emotions.

I sit on my floor crying. Isla is staring at me in shock and horror. When she notices that my hand is bleeding, she runs to my bathroom and grabs the first aid kit. She hesitantly grabs my hand and starts cleaning my wound, tears running down her face. I don't know what to do anymore. I can't make her sacrifice her happiness for mine, but I can't let her go either. "L-Luke," she says searching my eyes. "P-please don't l-leave me. I c-can't lose you a-again." I stare into her eyes, but I'm just too numb to say or do anything in this moment.

My door suddenly busts open and Nick, Hayden, Sofia and Tyler barge in. Nick takes in the scene. "What the fuck is going on?"

By now, I know my eyes are bloodshot and puffy, but all I can do is glare at Hayden. I fucking hate Hayden. Isla gives me a sad look. The happiness and all of her hopes have been drained from her eyes. She then looks at Hayden and her tears well up more. She lets go of my hand. "Don't leave me, Luke. Don't give up on me. Don't give up on our friendship."

She stands up and walks over to Hayden while futilely wiping the tears from her eyes. "I-I love you," Her voice breaks. "But there can't be an us." She kisses his cheek and runs downstairs, ignoring him and everyone calling her name.

I watch as my once-best friend crumbles in front of me and everyone in the room. As I look him in the eyes, I see nothing but pain. There's a voice in my head telling me to run after Isla and apologize. To tell her it's okay to be with Hayden. I want to tell her that her happiness is more important to me than my own, but she's the reason I breathe. I'm so screwed up in the head that I can't get myself to do what's right. The worst part about it, is that I know I'm screwed up in the head. I know what I'm doing right now is wrong, but I can't stop myself.