Chapter 49 ~ Hardy har har

Isla's POV

I'm surprised to find myself in my bed when I wake up. It's seven in the morning, and the light is shining brightly through my room, keeping me from falling back to sleep. I stretch hearing some of my joints crack. Is that normal for someone my age? Sofia is smiling in her sleep. Hmm... maybe she is dreaming of Nick.

As I get out of bed, I trip over a suitcase. I look around the room to see that Sofia has packed all her stuff and most of mine. I must remember to thank her when she wakes up. Walking into the bathroom, I do my normal morning routine before heading into the kitchen. If no one is awake, I'll make breakfast for everyone, but if someone is awake, they have probably already beaten me to making breakfast.

The house is quiet when I walk out of my room and head to the kitchen. I was trying to decide what I was going to make for breakfast when I see Nick sitting at the table with a bunch of bowls and cereal boxes. He looks at me and smiles. "I made breakfast." He rubs the back of his neck sheepishly. "Well, I didn't want to burn the cabin down, so I set out cereal and bowls for everyone. This is my form of making breakfast." He chuckles.

I grab a bowl and reach for the fruit loops. Nick rushes to the fridge and gets the milk out and pour it into my bowl. I take a huge bite and smile. "My compliments to the chief," I joke.

Nick laughs even harder. "Only you would say something like that. Just watch. I bet some of the guys are going to complain."

"Well, shame on whoever complains. At least you did something. Besides, I would rather eat cereal than to have to worry about trying to fake a smile while eating your burnt toast."

Nick gives me a deadpan look. "No one is ever going to let me live that down, are they?"

"Nope." I giggle. "It was toast, Nick. You couldn't even toast bread."

"Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. It's not like you can't say you've never burned food while cooking before."

I laugh at him. "You're right, Nick. I have burnt some pizza once or twice, but I don't burn everything, unlike you. I bet you could even burn water."

"Hardy har har. Isn't someone being a little rude this morning?" Nick asks sarcastically.

I run up and hug Nick. "You know I still love you." He smiles at me.

Then I hear a gasp. "How dare you try and steal my man. I thought we were friends!" Sofia exclaims. Oh no. This seriously can't be happening to me again. I would never do anything like that to her. I think the world of her.

Nick and I stare at Sofia in shock before jumping three feet away from each other. "Babe-" Nick starts.

Sofia bursts into laughter. "Oh, my gawd! I should have gotten that on video." She laughs even harder. "I. Know. Y'all. Would. Do. Something. Like. That," she gasps, bending over and clutching her stomach from all the laughter. "Your faces were priceless!" I smack her hard on her arm. "Ow! Why did you do that?"

I glare at her. "Because I, supposedly, lost my two ex-best friends because I 'stole' their men."

Sofia has a second fit of laughter. "Isla, you're my best friend. We are real best friends. You've never given me a reason to not trust you, and I know the relationship between you and Nick is like sister and brother. You doing something with Nick would be like me hooking up with Kilian. Gross and never going to happen."

I'm now laughing too.

Killian walks into the room with a look of disgust. "Sis, I better never hear the words of you and me hooking up again." He shudders. "Yuck."