Chapter 15 ~ I won't freak out

Lucas' POV

The past week has probably been one of the worst weeks in my life since my mom passed away. I so badly want to be there for Isla, but Nick won't allow it. I've tried to apologize to him, but he doesn't want to hear it. It really is killing me not being able to be near or see Isla. I don't know what I was thinking. I love Isla. I have for a while. I need her to get better, and then I will prove to her that I love her.

I walk into the kitchen to make a sandwich when I overhear Beth on the phone. "I tried to get them to give y'all more time to stay here. I really did.... Wait... did you say she woke up?" She exclaims. "I'm so happy for you, and now I'm giving you the worst news in the world. I'm so sorry Hayden. You know I love you like you're my own child, right?"

Are they talking about Isla? Could she have woken up? Wait... Did she say Nick and Lucas have to be out of the house by Friday? We once made a pact that if one of us had to leave, we would all leave. They can't go so soon. I will never have a chance to make up with them. At least with the three of us being under the same roof, they're still forced to interact with me. "Beth, what was that conversation about?" I ask knowing she's going to be mad that I was eavesdropping. I had to tell her what happened after Isla was admitted to the hospital. Beth was very upset with me. She's still pretty mad about what happened with Chelsea and Isla. She doesn't like that Hayden and Nick refuse to talk to me about the whole ordeal, but she said she understands why.

"Lucas, sit down." She wipes the stray tear from her eye. "The state said I have to have two of y'all move out by Friday or else they are going to take the rest of my foster kids away from me. Since Hayden and Nick said that they were going to be the ones to move out, I called Hayden to let him know. I didn't realize he was at the hospital. I must have mixed his and Nick's days up because I thought Nick was at the hospital. I would have called Nick instead, because I hate disturbing them when they're with Isla. Anyways, I had to let him know that they only have a couple days until they have to be out. He said we would talk about it once he gets home because Isla woke up."

"Isla awakes?!" I shout. "Can I go and see her?"

Beth looks at me sadly. "Lucas, I love you, but you really hurt her. I think you need to give some time. She just woke up. Let her heal a little bit.

I slam my fist on the table, scaring Beth. "NO!" I cry. "Beth, do you know the real reason why my case worker was trying to find a foster home for me here?" She shakes her head no. "It's because of Isla. Before my parents and I moved, we lived here. Isla was my best friend. My only friend. No one likes me. I was just some troubled kid, but not in Isla's eyes. She was always there for me. As my mom's illness got worse so did my behavior. The whole world turned against me except for Isla. She was always by my side, and she knew how to calm me down when no else could. The day we moved away I didn't get a chance to say goodbye. I didn't get to say goodbye, Beth."

Beth pulls me into a hug trying to offer me comfort. "Lucas, it wasn't your fault. You had to move."

"Beth, she kept waiting for me to come back. Even her dad told me before he passed away that she was waiting for her childhood friend to come back."

"Lucas, you did come back."

"But she doesn't know that. She doesn't know that it's me. I changed a lot while I was away. Isla is my world. She's what kept me going when my mom died. I wanted to die, but the thought of her is what made me not go through with it. Then her parents died, and I can't even bother to show up to the funeral. I'm in love with her, Beth. I have to see her. I have to tell her the truth. I don't care if Nick and Hayden beat the crap out of me afterwards. Please Beth, can I go and see her?"

Beth sighs. "I didn't know, Lucas. I'm so sorry about all of that, but it's not a good idea for you to see her tonight." I shake my head in disbelief. "Lucas, I will write you a note to excuse you from school tomorrow, and you can see her then. She just woke up today and both Nick and Hayden will be up there. It won't do you or Isla any good for her to see you fighting with Nick and Hayden. Anyways, if wait for tomorrow while the guys are at school it will give you plenty of alone time with her for you to be able to explain yourself."