Chapter 41 ~ I struggle with depression

Isla's POV

I thought that things would get better after reporting to the police about what had happened to us, but boy I was wrong! I was so very, very wrong. The police have opened an investigation and our school administration got into a lot of trouble because the bullying and fighting were happening right under their noses and no one stepped in to stop it.

Sports are a big deal in our town and because of the involvement of the football players, basketball players, and cheerleaders in bullying and attacking us, all games for the rest of the year have been canceled. On top of that the winter formal, senior trip, and prom were canceled.

The seven of us are more hated now than ever before. Even the teachers and parents are upset with us. We were blamed for several kids losing their scholarships and grants for college. On top of that, we were still being called ugly names. Our emails, social media pages, and phones were being blown up with hate mail.

The only bright side to everything was that everyone who attacked me, Sofia and Tyler that day were suspended from school and were facing criminal charges. Since there were only two more weeks before the winter break, we decided to stay out of school and would start back in January in hopes that some of the hatred towards us would die down.

Mrs. Ford, Mrs. Constable, and Mr. Constable were able to persuade the school to excuse our absences without it causing us to have to repeat our senior year. They had threatened to sue the school since they had originally done nothing to help the seven of us.

It was two weeks before Christmas and we were all having a meeting in the living room, trying to make plans for how we were going to spend the holiday. Tyler was staying with us because his parents were called out of town for work again. Isabelle, Emma, and Isaac are spending the weekend with Maddie and Mrs. Ford to see The Nutcracker.

"Let's decide what we want to do for Christmas before the younger three get back home," I tell everyone.

"I would say presents, but let's be honest, you and Tyler are the only two who really have money," Sofia says bluntly. That's what I like about her. She just says it as it is. "The rest of us are basically living off of you like freeloaders." Killian smacks her on the back of the head.

"Don't say that." He growls at her

"But it's true. We don't help with anything when it comes to money." She hisses back. Everyone looks down, feeling slightly ashamed.

"Stop it! All of you." I growl. "Money is not an issue here. It never will be. Y'all are constantly forgetting that I am filthy rich. I don't need y'all to pay for anything nor do I expect y'all to pay for anything." I pinch the bridge of my nose in frustration. "When I invited y'all to live here, I wasn't stupid. I knew money-wise that y'all wouldn't be able to help, but I don't need help money-wise. Y'all have helped me in so many other ways that I feel like there is no amount of money in this world that would be enough for me to repay y'all. So, don't ever say that y'all are freeloading off me or be ashamed to live here."

"Sorry, Isla. I just feel bad because you are always spending money on all of us." Sofia admits.

I cover my face with my hands and put my head in my lap. "I don't... I don't think y'all get it." I mumble to myself somewhat quietly not really wanting them to hear.

But of course, they hear. "What don't we get?" Hayden asks with concern.

I sigh loudly. "Depression. I struggle with depression and it's a lot worse than I let on. Y'all have been the reason why I have been able to keep it under control. Without y'all, I just don't know what would happen."

Nick hugs me. "Isla, you've been through a lot in the past few months. You will get through it. Anyone in your situation would feel the same."

I growl in frustration. "No!" I shout while standing up and pacing the room. "You don't get it. It's not something that I've just recently started struggling with. It's not something that even started when I was being bullied my freshman year." I sit back down on the couch. "It started when I was in sixth grade," I whisper.