Chapter 19 ~ You caught feelings for her

Hayden's POV

I'm growing impatient as I wait for Isla and Lucas to finish talking. Late nights at the hospital are messing with my sleep, making me flustered. I'm also a little worried. I realized that I have feelings for Isla and my biggest threat is Lucas. I shouldn't have called her "Love" in front of him, but I did and now it's too late to do anything about it.

Lucas walks by us as he leaves Isla's room and heads toward the elevators. Kaira runs after him while Nick and I head back to Isla. We find Isla asleep on her hospital bed. She's so beautiful. Looking at her, I get pissed off that so many people have hurt her. I want to make each and every person pay for the pain they have caused her.

I walk over to her and tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear. I can't help, but to smile. "You like her, don't you?" Nick asks.

"Of course I do. She's a great friend," I say, trying to play it off like it was nothing more.

"Cut the crap," Nick snickers. "You like her more than just a friend. Admit it."

I shrug. "Just friends."

"You know I can see right through your lie. I've caught you calling her 'Love' twice now. Hell, even Lucas caught you calling her 'Love'. I thought he was going to kill you on the spot." He laughs. "You caught feelings for her."

I run my hand through my hair. "Fine. I do have feelings for her, okay? But I don't know how she feels about me and then there is also the little problem known as Lucas. He told me earlier when we went to get the coffees that he still loves her."

"My advice is if you really like her, then take a chance. What if she really likes you too? Probably better to go after her now while Lucas has fallen out of her grace."

"I know, but he was our best friend. I'd feel like I am betraying him."

"Hayden, you have to think about yourself for once. Plus, he screwed up by kissing that whore. What's to say he won't do it again? Make yourself happy for once. I know you and I know you would never hurt her like he did. She even trusted you with a secret that no one else knows. All you can do is lay your hand on the table and let the cards fall where they may."

"I guess you're right, but I want to wait until she's better. She doesn't need anything else added to her stress now."

Nick pats my back. "Just don't wait too long."

We turn around when we hear a knock on the door. The doctor walks in. "I need to speak to her guardian or a family member. Also, visiting hours are over. Only a family member is allowed to say the night."

"She doesn't have any adult family members, but we are her roommates."

"Oh, I didn't know that," the doctor days sheepishly. "Well, then I guess I can tell the two of you. We've run several more tests and everything is back normal. We are going to release her to go home tomorrow, but she needs to take it easy for the next two weeks. If she's in school or if she works, we will give her an excuse to be off for next week." I nod to let the doctor know I understand. "She will need to keep a close eye on her blood pressure until her body has completely recovered," the doctor continues. "Just walking upstairs will probably tire her out. Please make sure she is checking her blood pressure three times a day. Also, she shouldn't be home alone for the first week. If she seems to be sleeping too much or not eating enough, please bring her in immediately."

"Thank you," I say as I shake the doctor's hand.

He nods. "Like I said previously, visiting hours are over, but since y'all would be considered family, one of you may stay the night."