Chapter 19

Noah

As we approached the chapel, the mood in the taxi became solemn. Alice and I had both fallen quiet as we saw the crowd outside the chapel congregate. Black suits and dresses as far as the eye could see.

"Ready?" Alice takes my hand and grabs tightly. Her touch as innocent as it was, warmed my heart instantly.

"Can anyone be ready for something like this?" I ask as my fingers interlock with hers.

The taxi pulls up a short distance from the chapel. The driver turns around and shoots us a respectful look. "Sorry for your loss. I hope today goes as well as it can."

I muster a smile towards him and shakes his hand as we get out. "Thank you. That's very kind of you."

Closing the door behind me, I watch him begin to pull away as I feel Alices arm interlocking with mine.

"Oh my God! There is he. Noah!!!!" A screech from a group of girls in the distance behind the metal barriers which have obviously been put in place for Daniel's followers to pay their respects.

"Noah, where are you going?" Alice asks as I pull my arm away from hers and make my way to the group of female fans.

"I'll be back in a minute."

"Noah! Can I have your autograph please?" One excited fan asks. I refuse to entertain her request. Today was not the day.

"Hi girls." I say as I approach them.

"Oh my god. He is fit!"

"Listen girls, I really appreciate your support but today is not the day for this. Please show some respect. My friends family are over there, broken. Please be mindful of their feelings." I smile and begin to walk away.

"Who does he think he is talking to us like that?" I overhear from the crowd as I make my way back to Alice.

"You okay?" She asks as she brushes my black tie back down into place.

"All good. Shall we go in?"

Alice places her arm back in mine and we make our way towards the chapel, smiling and acknowledging people we recognise in silence. Placing my hand on Daniels mother's shoulder as I walk past, a gentle touch with no words said between us was still enough to let her know I was there for her.

We took our seats in the chapel as the crowd from outside began to make their way in. I pick up the order of service which was placed on the bench. A smiling picture of Daniel was looking back at me. That infectious smile and those eyes that were always up to something staring back at me. He looked so full of life. I shake my head still unable to come to terms with what has happened.

Reaching into my inside pocket to turn my phone off, I see a message waiting for me from Chelsea.

'Thinking of you today x'

Another simple but effective gesture of kindness on this day of heartache.

                                    ~~~

The service was beautiful and perfectly fitting. It was everything Daniel would have wanted. There were roars of laughter and plenty of tears as a few of his friends and family spoke about him, telling us stories of their interactions with Daniel in his short time on this earth.

As we stood outside, allowing family and friends to lay their flowers beside his name. I felt a hand on my shoulder. Turning around to see Daniels mother behind us, tears still streaming down her face.

"Hi Karen. It was a beautiful service. Daniel is looking down on us smiling right now." Pulling her in for a hug as she continued to sob on my shoulder.