Chapter 3

𝔸𝕧𝕒

Where do these guys keep popping up from? First the hospital—twice. Now here.

"You work here?" I ask.

"Yeah," Kieran says. "I'm off tonight, though."

I've never been to this particular bar before. I'm pretty sure the only reason Jen chose this place was that she was hoping to run into someone she has her eyes on.

"How do you guys know each other?" I ask.

"We just met," Jen chimes in, pulling up a barstool for me between her and Mike.

"Hey," I say to Mike, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"You're late," he says, not even making eye contact.

Oh good. It's gonna be one of those nights.

"Sorry," I say. I'm not even fifteen minutes late, but in this case I would rather just apologize than let it turn into a whole thing.

"Have a seat, guys!" Jen says to Zane and Kieran, gesturing to a couple of empty stools on the opposite side of our table.

Zane has a stern, tense look to him as he takes his seat. Between the eavesdropping earlier and this chance encounter, it's more likely he thinks I'm the creepy stalker.

Well, this is awkward.

"So, Ava," Mike says with an irritated voice. "Clearly you and these two are already acquainted." He scoffs and takes a sip of his beer.

This is going great so far.

"Yeah," Jen interjects, attempting to lighten the mood. "How do you guys know each other?"

"Uh, we don't really," I say. "We just bumped into each other at the hospital earlier."

"You had another appointment?" Mike asks.

"Yeah, it's no big deal. Just tests and stuff. Don't worry about it."

I try to leave Mike out of most of the details. Every time I tell him they don't have a diagnosis for me he just complains and insists I need to try harder. I'd rather not deal with that right now. Besides, I don't exactly want to share my private medical information in front of these strangers anyway.

Mike gives me a suspicious look as he takes another swig of his drink.

"And now you're all here," he says. "Crazy coincidence."

"Must be fate," Kieran says with a flirty smile.

Kieran certainly isn't helping my case with Mike tonight.

"Kay," Mike says, grabbing his beer and pointing toward the pool tables in the back of the bar. "Well, I see Jason back there. I'm gonna go play pool."

He walks off in the direction of the pool tables. Jen has resumed conversation with Kieran, but I can't help but notice Kieran's eyes on me.

"What's his problem?" Zane asks.

"Mike? Oh uh, he's just a little awkward with people sometimes."

"Does that include you?" he asks.

Mike is sensitive and sometimes insecure. It always seems worse when he has to meet new people. Yeah, okay, sometimes he's a dick too. But honestly, so am I.

"No, he's just complicated," I say. "It takes time to get to know him."

"I'll pass on that, thanks," Zane asks with an eye roll.