Chapter 57

𝔸𝕧𝕒

"I'll kill him. I swear to fucking god, I'll cut his hands off so he can never touch you ever again. I'll send him through a fucking wood-chipper, see how he heals from that."

Zane paces back and forth, his eyes glowing a brilliant green and his fists tightly clenched. A deep growl rumbles behind his every word.

"Zane, it was just a dream," I say. "You're making a big deal out of nothing. It wasn't real."

"Yes it bloody was real!" he yells. "He's an Incubus! He's a literal sexual predator! You think it's a coincidence that you have a dream about an Incubus trying to assault you?"

"What does that mean? I don't understand... you think he was actually there in my dream?"

"Do you not know what an Incubus is?" he asks.

"I mean you guys said he's a demon and he feeds off sexual energy."

"Fuck," he says, resting his head in his palm. "He has the power to enter and control dreams. You didn't know that?"

He says that like it's common knowledge.

Maybe it is for Immortals, but not humans.

"No, how would I know that?" I ask. "They don't teach demonology in public school."

"I'm sorry, baby," he says with a sigh, wrapping his arms around me. "This is all my fault. I didn't warn you. I should never have trusted him."

"It's okay. I'm fine, really."

"I don't get it, though," he says. "Why now? Why is he just now going after you?"

Now that I think about it, this may not be the first time.

But if I tell him that, will Zane spontaneously combust?

"Um..." I say. "There may have been another time."

"WHAT??" he roars, pulling away from me. The veins in his neck bulge outward and his skin has turned a deep red.

"Just once. When we first started dating, I had a dream about Kieran. I didn't think anything of it at the time. I'm not even sure I knew you were a Siren at that point."

"I'll bloody gut him," he says. His voice is soft and eerily calm.

"It wasn't like this time," I say. "He was more normal and friendly. He didn't force anything on me. He just kissed me, but he stopped when I said no."

Zane rails his fist into the brick wall and chunks of brick fly everywhere, leaving red dust hanging in the air.

He walks out onto the patio and closes the door behind him.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to go after him or if he needs to be alone. I decide on giving him space and I slump onto the couch with a sigh.

Did Kieran really attack me?

If he's so truly evil, how did I not see it before?

I don't even know who to believe anymore. It seems like all people ever do is disappoint.

I can only imagine how Zane feels. Kieran is his best friend. He trusted him. He defended him. I feel almost guilty for having come between them. But if Kieran is really evil, I'm glad we found out now.

I look out onto the patio but can't see Zane from this angle. I stand up and look out the window, scanning the rooftop for him, but I can't find him anywhere.

He wouldn't have just left—right?

Uh oh.

I quickly pull out my phone and dial Kami.