Chapter 29

𝔸𝕧𝕒

The cab drops us off in front of a local nightclub called Tempt. The building is grand and impressive, with columns lit in purple and blue lights. The sign is just the word "Tempt" written in dozens of tiny white bulbs. There's a line of people waiting practically around the block, flanked by velvet ropes. It's freezing cold tonight and the line is full of huddled people in coats.

Everyone in line looks like a supermodel and is wearing what I imagine is designer clothing, that is, if I were fancy enough of a person to recognize what designer stuff looks like.

I'm glad Kami talked me into wearing one of my nicer going-out dresses. Under my wool coat I've got on my favorite piece of clothing---a red bandage dress that is so tight it's almost suffocating, but it makes my boobs look fantastic.

I haven't gone to a club in years, mostly because of the body-unfriendly combination of painful heels hurting my feet, dancing draining my energy, and alcohol upsetting my stomach. But, using Zane's charm power, I've managed to put that discomfort off for one night of feeling like a twenty-something again.

"I can't believe I let you three talk me into this," Zane huffs, stuffing his hands in the pockets of his blazer. "Nightclubs are the absolute bloody worst."

"I think it's a testament to how whipped you are that Ava was able to talk you into coming along," Kieran says with a laugh. "He never does this."

Zane rolls his eyes and we follow Kami as she charms our way past the bouncer. The hallway is mirrored and lined with neon lights.

"Go get us a booth while we drop off our coats," Kami says to Zane and Kieran as we stop at the coat check.

"Oh? Am I your errand boy, now?" Zane teases.

"Go, errand boy!" She jokes, pointing toward the main area of the club. Zane laughs and flips her off as he and Kieran walk away.

I pull my coat off as we reach the coat check.

"Oh damn," Kami says, looking me up and down, her eyes flickering a slight gold. "This is... wow girl you brought it tonight! Has Zane seen this little number yet?"

"No, I don't think so. I've had my coat on so far."

"Well this ought to be entertaining, then," she says with a smirk. "That boy is gonna pass out."

"Well, thanks," I say awkwardly.

The main area has two levels and a high ceiling, decked in blue lights. The lights are flashing and spinning to the beat of the music as a sweaty crowd of good-looking people fills the dance floor.

We spot the boys across the club at a big velvet booth and head in their direction.

Kieran sees us and his eyes go wide. Zane turns around and his eyes widen too, before quickly shifting to a glowing green.

"Tha... Wha... This is a... uh... That is..." Zane stutters.

"Nailing it, Z," Kami jokes as we both take a seat.

Kieran is holding a cocktail and biting his lower lip and swallowing hard. Before my eyes, tattoos appear down his arm.

"Wait, what the heck? You do have tattoos!" I say. "They're, like, magical tattoos? They just appeared on your arm out of nowhere!"

Zane's expression shifts and his jaw clenches.

"They better bloody disappear as fast as they appeared," Zane says with a scowl.

I think there's something I'm not understanding here, but I can't quite tell what.

Kieran looks down at them and they slowly fade away.

"There, Cranky Britches," Kieran says. "Happy?"

Zane gives him side eye but then leans toward me with a smile, his eyes still glowing green.

"So love," he says, placing his hands on my hips. "Was this dress part of an attempt to kill me? Because it might work."

"Well I had to see how immortal you really are," I say with a smirk.

He leans and plants a kiss on my neck, then moves upward to whisper into my ear. "You sure you want to do this whole club thing? Because if we left now I could be fucking you senseless in about 15 minutes."

Aaaand my legs are jelly. Do I even have legs? What are legs?

My cheeks suddenly feel hot and I consider bailing on this whole night out.

"No, I want to stay," I say. "The whole reason we're doing this is because I can finally feel good and do normal young person things again. We can control ourselves."

"Speak for yourself, love," he says, his eyes still glowing green.

"I thought you were well known for your self-control."

"Yeah, but you know you're my weakness baby." His fingers brush along my cheek. His jaw clenches and he shakes his head, the glow in his eyes fading slightly.

"Okay," he says, taking a long breath in. "A night out it is. Whatever my girl wants, she gets."

He pulls away from me as the glow in his eyes fades further and he turns to watch the crowd on the dance floor.

"Okay, first thing: I'm ordering a round of drinks!" Kami declares as she stands up. "This is gonna be awesome! And we might even run into a surprise guest!" She winks at Zane as she steps out of the booth. Zane squints his eyes in confusion.

"Surprise guest?" Kieran asks.

"No idea," Zane says, rolling his eyes. "Kami does enjoy her surprises."

"You wanna dance?" I ask Zane.

"Not right now, love," he says. "Maybe in a bit."

"I'll dance with you Ava," Kieran says.

Zane shoots Kieran a harsh look.

"Hey, you're the one who said no!" Kieran says. "Fiiine. Sorry Ava, your pussy of a boyfriend won't let me."

Zane crosses his arms and sighs. Kami returns to the table with a server carrying a huge platter of drinks and a pretty blond girl following closely behind.

"Look who I found!" she says in an excited voice.

She steps to the side to reveal a gorgeous woman with tanned skin and long blond curls down to her waist. She's wearing a black leather dress that seems more like a long tank top than a full-size garment.

"And who's this?" Kieran asks, flashing her a flirtatious smile as he stands up from his seat.

"This is my friend Gabby," Kami says. "Gabby, this is Kieran. He's a demon and he's definitely going to try and get in your pants, so feel free to stab him if he gets handsy."

"Whoaahh," Kieran says. "How rude! I thought we were friends!" He holds a hand to his chest, pretending to be wounded.

"Uh, hi Kieran," Gabby says with a bit of trepidation.

"Hellooooo beautiful," Kieran says, pulling her hand to his lips to plant a kiss on it.

"Annnnyyyywaaayyy," Kami interjects. "Gabby, you remember Zane."

"Yeah hey," Zane says, barely making eye contact with the woman.

"Hey, Z!" she says, throwing her arms around his shoulder and hugging him a bit too aggressively for my liking. "And who's this?"

She gestures toward me and then looks back at Zane.

"Uh this is... um..." he stutters, refusing to look directly at me. "This is Ava."

Oh wow, okay. I'm just Ava then?