Chapter 68

𝔸𝕧𝕒

Zane playfully stalks me around the coffee table as I slowly step backwards to avoid him. The alcohol in my blood is affecting my coordination and I stumble slightly.

"You should know better than to fight an Immortal, love," he says with a smirk.

"What you gonna do 'bout it, Mister Siren?" I tease, stepping back slightly.

"You're not afraid of me, are you?"

"Of course not."

"Why is that?" he asks with a raised eyebrow. "I mean, you're human. I'm infinitely stronger than you, faster than you. You should find me terrifying."

His serious expression tells me we're no longer having the same playful conversation. Zane is so caught up with this feeling that he's a monster. Sometimes it still creeps into the little moments.

"I know you're afraid of hurting me," I say, stepping closer to him and wrapping my arms around his torso. "But I know you never would. I have faith in you. Deep down, I know who you are and you are good."

"Hurting you... is my nightmare," he mumbles as he looks at me with a furrowed brow. His eyes scan my face as if he's working something out in his mind.

"Well, you won't hurt me, so you have nothing to worry about."

He smiles and steps back, reaching into his back pocket and pulling out his cell phone.

"Do something for me, would you?" he asks.

"Sure," I say. "What's that?"

He holds out his phone as if he's trying to take a picture of me.

"Say that again for me," he says softly.

"What?" I ask, rolling my eyes. "I'm not sure I understand. Are you filming me again?"

What is with Zane and the videos today?

"Please?" he asks.

"Okay," I say, looking into the phone's lens. "I uh... You are good. You are a good person and I have faith in you."

"Faith in what? The whole thing..."

His expression is solemn and dark.

"I know that you will never hurt me," I say. "I trust you."

He looks at the phone's screen for a moment before looking back up at me.

In a flash, I feel intense pressure against my cheekbone along with a loud ringing that reverberates in my ears as Zane's fist connects with my face. I tumble to the floor and hold a hand up to my cheek as my jaw goes slack in horror.

"What about now?" he asks, a smirk growing on his face as he looks me dead in the eyes. "Still so sure?"

"I..." I mumble, unsure of what to say. I feel like I'm hovering outside of my body, unable to speak or react.

This isn't right. Zane wouldn't hurt me.

"Oh, come on, Ava," he says with a chuckle. "A moment ago, you were so sure of me. So much faith. Where did all that go?"

My mind runs through every moment of the night so far and nothing is adding up.

Kami's words echo in my mind: "You never let that car out of your sight."

"Where's your car?" I ask.

"That wasn't the response I expected," he says, his voice slightly higher than usual. "All you have to ask is about the damn car?"