Chapter 20

ℤ𝕒𝕟𝕖

"So, can you fly?" Ava asks, biting into a piece of buttered toast. "I mean like, you have wings and all, but so do penguins."

"Yes." I chuckle. "I can fly. But I hardly ever do. There aren't a lot of great opportunities to get my wings out in the modern world where no one will see me."

She's in my T-shirt and a cute pair of black cotton underwear, sitting at the dining table and chowing down on breakfast.

"Fair enough," she says through a mouthful of food. "Do you have other magical powers?"

"Sure. If I'm touching someone I can compel them to do whatever I say, kind of like hypnosis. It wears off after a little while—sometimes a couple of hours, sometimes more."

"What kinds of things do you tell people to do?"

This topic can go nowhere good.

"Erm... Usually just to get free stuff or to make sure they forget they saw something otherworldly. It depends. I try not to use it too much."

"Hmm," she pauses. "Isn't that like stealing? That seems kinda messed up."

"I mean, it can be. I try to only use it on people who have it coming or wouldn't mind."

"Like, have it coming how?"

Like a pompous wanker who tried to not-so-subtly remind me that he used to fuck my girlfriend?

"You know..." I say. "Not-so-great people."

"Ahhh, so people who don't use their blinkers?" She smiles and takes a sip of orange juice.

"Well, love, that's obviously unforgivable."

"So, anything else? Can you turn invisible?"

"I'm not superman, love, though I understand how you might think that after that shag last night."

Her cheeks turn a deep shade of red.

"Don't flatter yourself, wing boy." She gives me a light punch on the shoulder and I chuckle.

"I don't know if it counts as a power, but I'm stronger than humans. Faster, too. And my skin can't be penetrated by mortal weapons."

"Harder, better, faster, stronger?" she sings with a giggle.

"Well, I certainly could get harder for you, baby," I tease, scooping her up from her chair and into my lap. She playfully squirms against me and smacks my arm. Her grey eyes catch mine and she bites her lower lip.

On second thought, strike that. Not sure I could get any harder.

"Can you lift a car?" she asks.

With my dick?

Oh, never mind, we're back on the 'superpowers' thing.

"I uh," I choke. "Ahem... Probably. I never tried. It depends."

Way to not sound like an idiot.

"Depends on what?"

"On how much of a, erm, carnal state I'm in. I guess."

"Carnal?" she asked, her eyes widening. "Like when your eyes are green?"

"Yeah. The more green they are, the more that side is in control."

"They're green now," she says with a curious expression.

"Yeah, baby, I bet they are."