Chapter 21

𝔸𝕧𝕒

I stop outside Zane's door for a minute to fix my hair. I've hardly seen him this week and I know I'm spending time with his friends tonight, so I want to make a good impression. Especially since they're... supernatural... people? What do I call them? Sirens? Crap, I suppose I haven't thought this through.

Do you think Martha Stewart has an etiquette guide for supernatural dinner parties?

The door swings open, revealing Zane in a black henley shirt and tight jeans with a wide smile on his face.

"Hey, love!" he says with a hug that lifts me off my feet.

He guides me in with a hand at my back, pulling me into the dining room.

"Love, this is Kami," he says, gesturing to a stunning brunette woman in skin-tight clothing and leather boots. Her hair is perfectly coiffed and shiny and her warm-brown skin is flawless.

"Hey, Ava!" she says with what appears to be enthusiasm. "You're a total babe! I can see why Zane is so obsessed!"

She's gorgeous and nice? What a bitch.

"Thank you!"

"Now the real question is, what could you possibly see in this asshole?" she jokes, elbowing Zane in the arm. Zane winces and takes a moment to rub his arm where she prodded. This girl must be strong if she's actually able to hurt him.

"Thanks, love," he says. "I'm definitely not already regretting introducing you two."

I guess I'm not the only one he calls love. It's silly, but that bugs me a little. Hey, so what if she's stunning and perfect and shiny and sculpted by God himself... I don't even care.

Totally don't care.

"So uh, how do you two know each other?" I ask.

"We uh," Zane rubs the back of his neck with one hand, the other leaning on the counter.

This pause is awkward and I already regret asking this question. On second thought, I'd rather not know if you guys had some crazy supernatural four-winged flying sex.

Oh god, now I'm picturing it. Make it stoppp. Can I just die instead? Please?

"She's kind of my sister. I've never answered this question honestly to a human before." Zane's face twists in confusion before turning to her. "Kami, uh, how do I?"

"He makes things so complicated. Yes, we're basically siblings," she chimes in, taking a sip of what appears to be a glass of caramel-colored liquor.

"Oh... So you're... Are you both...?"

"Sirens, yep!" she says. "We don't really have siblings in the traditional sense because we don't have parents. We were both born within minutes of each other, so we grew up together. Except we didn't 'grow' really because well, we were born looking like this."

That was a lot of information and I'm pretty sure that makes no sense. They were born fully-grown? Who wants to push a full-sized adult out of their... but wait, they don't have parents, so what do they even come out of?

"Volcano," Zane says, handing me a beer.

"I'm sorry, what now?" I ask.

"I'm just trying to explain how we're born. You seemed confused. We're born from a volcano."

Of course. Naturally. The world's hottest people were born out of molten lava. Because where else would they come from?

"You literally didn't explain anything to her, did you Zane?" Kami scoffs. "I apologize for him. He's a man and therefore an idiot."