Chapter 4

𝔸𝕧𝕒

While waiting for Jen to tear herself away from the hot bartender, I tossed back a couple more drinks. I'm definitely going to regret it tomorrow, but right now the pain has dulled and I prefer to be drunk if I'm going to have to deal with Mike's attitude tonight.

Mike reluctantly agreed to drive me home, making it pretty clear that it was a burden to him but he said he didn't want me to have to call an Uber.

"So are you going to ignore me the whole ride home?" I ask.

"I'm not ignoring you," he says.

"Okay, well, you're not talking and you ditched me to play pool all night. Plus you have that pissed off look on your face."

"I ditched you? I'm pretty sure the only reason I came there was for you. And then you start flirting with these guys that you mysteriously seem to know and it comes out that you had a hospital appointment that you didn't tell me about—I felt totally blindsided by the whole thing!"

As much as I want to be irritated I have to admit that it probably did feel bad from his side.

"I only know them because I showed one of them how to find his friend's hospital room. And I wasn't flirting with them. I'm sorry I didn't tell you about the appointment; I honestly didn't think you would have wanted to know.

He sighs, still staring ahead at the road.

"I promise. Nothing was going on. There's no conspiracy."

His shoulders seem to relax a little, as though just maybe he hears what I'm saying.

"Okay," he says begrudgingly.

After another stretch of silence, he lets out another sigh and says, "So what was this appointment for?"

"Just another round of tests. They did an MRI and took more blood."

"And? What did they find?"

"It's too quick to tell. I think it's mostly to eliminate a few worst-case-scenario things. I doubt they'll come back positive."

"Worst case scenario? Like what?" he asks, the concern in his voice rising.

"Um, brain tumors, cancer, the big dangerous things. I think they're just trying to cover their asses."

"Mmm..."

His face is stern, agitated. His lips pursed in a tight line.

"What?" I ask.

"It's just interesting, that's all." The way he says it implies his attitude is back.

"What about it?" I ask.

"I just... I didn't realize this was so serious."

"I don't know... I hope not. I just want to find out what's going on at this point. If it's serious I guess I'd rather know than be ignorant. I just need an answer."

I look out the window, watching as we pass one streetlight after another along the suburban, tree-lined road.

"I just wish I had known before," he says, letting out a sigh. "I wish you had told me."

"What do you mean?" I ask. "I am telling you."

"I mean before all..." he pauses to gesture between us, "this."

He can't possibly be saying what I think he's saying. He wishes that he knew how sick I was before our relationship because he wouldn't have dated me?

No. Hell no. He doesn't mean that.