Chapter 19

𝔸𝕧𝕒

Zane has been quiet the entire drive to my apartment. His fists are clenched so tight around the wheel that his knuckles are practically white. The car pulls in to the driveway of my apartment complex.

"Zane," I say softly as he turns the engine off. "What was that?"

"I'm not allowed to get mad when some prick tries to snog my girlfriend?" His voice is low and rough.

"No, I understand that, I'm just not sure I get why you lost it on his beer before that. What did the beer do to you?"

"I... fuck..." he stumbles. A horrendous crack rings through the car as a chunk of steering wheel snaps off into his hand. "Ah shit."

"What the hell??"

"I just got it repaired. I guess they didn't do a very good job."

What in the actual hell is going on?

"Zane, what is your deal?" I ask.

"What deal?" he asks.

"God damn it Zane, cut the crap."

He turns to me and a smile spreads across his face.

"You're sexy when you're angry, love."

Damn. Damn your intense hotness.

I see a green sparkle in his eyes and before I know it he's leading me inside.

*****

My mind is foggy and I can't see much in the dark. It's definitely some time between midnight and dawn but beyond that, I'm not sure. I reach for Zane but he's no longer in bed.

When I sit up, I can see him pacing back and forth in the hallway.

"Zane?" I call.

"Shit," he curses under his breath.

"Happy to see you too, Babe. Am I interrupting your breakdown?"

He walks toward me and the minimal light coming through the window hits his face.

Are those... tears?

"Whoa, hey," I say, getting up and wrapping my arms around his neck. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, love," he says with a reassuring smile.

Bullshit.

"Okay, care to tell me what kind of something that 'nothing' means?"

"Well you just see right through me, don't you?" He tries to smile but there's a sadness behind it.

"Pretty much," I say with a smile.

Another tear falls from his eye and he's quick to wipe it away.

"I'm not who you think I am," he says, his voice softening to almost a whisper.

"And who do I think you are?"

"Human."

"And you're a werewolf?" I say with a giggle, tracing the edge of his jaw with my fingers. A low growl rumbles in his chest. I can't tell if he's intentionally trying to sound like a werewolf right now or not.

"Love, can you not touch me right now?"

Oh... Okay. Am I in trouble?

"Sure," I say, pulling my hands away from his face. I sit down on the bed and he joins next to me.

"Do you know what a Siren is?"

"Uh... as in the sound from a fire engine?"

"No," he chuckles. "As in the mythological creature."