Chapter 36

𝔸𝕧𝕒

My sopping wet dress is stuck to the leather passenger seat of Zane's Challenger. I'm wrapped in a tan, monogrammed towel I borrowed from Kami's. Zane has the heater on high in an attempt to keep me warm. He pats my knee and gives me a soft smile.

This may be the most embarrassing moment of my entire life.

"I'm sorry," I say. "I have no idea why I acted that way. I think the alcohol really got to me tonight."

Aka I have no explanation for why I just acted full-on psycho about you talking to a girl and then gracefully tumbled my way into the pool during your friend's Halloween party.

"It's alright, love," he says in a soft, concerned voice. "I did try to make you jealous of Gabby when you first met her. I shouldn't have done that. You never have anything to worry about with me, baby."

There's an undertone of sadness in his voice that makes me feel even worse—as if that were possible.

"I shouldn't have reacted that way," I say. "I don't know what came over me; I just kind of lost my marbles for a second. I have no excuse."

There's a flicker of concern in his eyes as he glances at me for a moment before looking back at the road. His jaw is tense as he stares ahead.

"Are you upset with me?" I ask. I'm almost dreading his answer. His whole demeanor has been cold and distant since the incident, even though he's tried to hide it behind smiles.

"No, love," he says with a bit of a sigh. "I'm not upset with you."

Really? Because that sounds a whole lot like how someone would say that if they were definitely, big-time upset with me.

We pull up to my apartment complex and walk to my door. Zane gives me a hug and a kiss on the forehead.

"Goodnight, love," he says.

Wait... he's leaving?

"You're not coming in?" I ask.

"Oh uh... not tonight, love. I've got to get up early tomorrow."

You don't even have a job, Zane.

"You can stay here and still get up early," I say.

"Yeah, but I left my stuff at home," he says, slowly stepping back toward his car. "I'll see you later, okay?"

"Okay," I say.

I close my door behind me and slump onto the floor.

Damn it.

Have I just ruined everything?

ℤ𝕒𝕟𝕖

"What the bloody fucking fuck happened tonight?" I yell, hurling a lamp across the kitchen.

"Jesus Christ, Z," Kami says. "There are still guests around and you're really getting to be a danger to my décor."

"How's Ava?" Kieran asks, sitting on the counter. Kami glares at him, but doesn't scold him for once.

"She's okay," I say. "She has no idea what happened."

"You say that like we do," Kami says. "You're making assumptions. We don't know for sure that—"

"Sure we do. Come on, you know you're thinking it. We're all thinking it. Madness? Obsession? Delusion?"

"I've never heard of a single case," she says. "There's no reason to suspect it's real, Z."

"Have you ever known of a Siren to carry on this long with a human without marking them?" I ask.