Chapter 27

ℤ𝕒𝕟𝕖

"I don't understand how I can't find one bloody human," I say with a sigh.

The man who attacked Ava and Jen is somehow still evading me and I'm bloody sick of it.

"I know you're worked up about this, Z," Kami says in a calm tone. "But Ava is fine. Maybe this is just a human issue. This guy is bound to get himself arrested soon, right?"

"And that's good enough for you? That someone attacked Ava and her mate and we're just gonna let it go?"

"I don't know, Z. I understand, but it's been months. Maybe this creep doesn't even live here."

"I know you don't trust Kieran, but I'm going to talk to him. His senses are much stronger than ours. He can help."

Kami sighs and sets her drink on the table, opening her mouth to say something.

We're interrupted by a ring at Kami's front door.

"Expecting company?" I ask.

"Not that I know of," she says. "Wait here."

"Hey, hon!" a voice says from the other room. "Wanted to check in with you on our little predicament."

Who is this now?

"I've got company, Lols, but you probably already know that," Kami says.

Kami rounds the corner with a petite, bronze-skinned woman who looks about our age. The woman is wearing a long flowing dress with a vibrant green floral pattern and her hair is in a very long braid over her shoulder.

"Lola, this is..." Kami says.

"Zane," Lola interjects. "Nice to meet you. Lola."

How does she know my name?

"Because I'm a Seer. I can see things most people can't, although I can't always choose what I see. That's why I'm here. Kami is helping me bring light to some of the shadows in my visions."

"What visions?" I ask, turning to Kami.

"Uh," Kami pauses.

"I take it she hasn't told you," Lola interjects. "Your demon has been creating problems for us all, and you're just enabling him."

I squint my eyes at her in a mix of confusion and irritation. I've just met the woman and I'm already being accused of something.

"Your Incubus is murdering half the city," she continues.

I can hardly comprehend what's going on. What the fuck is happening with Kieran?

"What are you talking about?" I ask.

"He's dropping bodies and not cleaning up after himself. The police are starting to notice a pattern and we're all in danger of being discovered."

Kieran? No way. That doesn't make any sense.

"Where's your proof?" I ask.

"I don't have it yet," she says. "But I will."

"Lola," Kami interjects. "This is not the time or place for this conversation."

"I'm just being honest," Lola says, turning to me. "I'm sorry. I know Kami speaks very highly of you and I trust that you wouldn't be involved with the demon if you honestly thought he was hurting people. I'm sorry for getting off on the wrong foot."

"I..." I try to respond but nothing I can think of seems appropriate. "Okay."

"Lola," Kami interjects. "Maybe you can help us with a problem we're having. We've been looking for someone that attacked our friend—a human."