Chapter 9

𝔸𝕧𝕒

My phone buzzes on the kitchen counter. I open it to see two missed calls from Jen and three missed text messages.

Zane: Hey love. What you up to?

Zane: Headed to Pike's later with Kieran. Will I see you there?

Jen: Grrl answer ur phoonnnee

Ugh. I'm so tired and all this hanging out with Zane and going to the bar with Jen has me even more worn out than usual. The only downside about pretending to be a normal twenty-something is that my body is not in on the secret and insists on reacting like an arthritic 70-year-old instead.

My phone rings again. This time I answer.

"Finally!" Jen's voice says on the other end of the line.

"Yes, Jen. And I've missed you too!"

"So what is up with you and that Zane guy?" she asks. Jen never asks a question like that if she doesn't already have an opinion to share.

What is up with us? We've been going to movies together, grabbing coffee, chatting on the phone. One time he joined me at the laundromat while I waited for my clothes to dry. We've been texting and calling each other a lot. We've kissed, but only twice, and each time I was the one who had to make the first move. Is this just a friendship where early on I tried to kiss him two times and he was too polite to turn me away? But then he keeps making all these suggestive comments and seems to be flirtatious.

"Hello?" Jen's voice echoes. "Earth to Ava?"

"Yeah um... sorry. I don't know, Jen, I guess we're friends?"

"But you guys make out, right?" she asks.

"Well," I say. "I kind of initiated it both times."

"Okay so you two are basically free agents, right?" she asks.

No... I mean... are we? I mean... I guess?

"He has insinuated that he's not the player type," I say, my voice sounding more unsure than I intended. "So I think he's just dating me. But I don't know, Jen, that's not a conversation we've had yet."

"Hmm," she says in her judgey, something-is-definitely-up-but-I-don't-want-to-say-what kind of voice.

"What's the 'hmm' for?"

"Shayna was just telling me that the other night at the bar, Zane and Kieran were competing over a girl."

My heart drops. I can't think of any words to respond with.

"I mean, that's okay, right?" she asks. "Since you're not officially together?"

I can't find the words to respond. Is he just one of those guys who tries to pick up a new girl at the bar every night?

"Yeah, totally..." I mumble. Despite my attempts to sound unaffected, my voice comes out shaky and dejected.

"I'm sorry honey," she says. "I really didn't mean to upset you, I just thought you should know. It seemed like you guys might be heading in the direction of something more serious. I'm sorry, should I not have told you? I thought it was the right thing but now I feel bad."

"No, no... Thank you for telling me. I mean, it's not like we're exclusive or anything. We hardly even kiss so I mean... I guess I thought there was something there but... it doesn't matter."

I feel tears welling up in my eyes.

"Aww honey," she says. "Are you crying?"

"No, I'm fine," I say, my wavering voice betraying me.