Chapter 40

ℤ𝕒𝕟𝕖

Kami sits across from me in a dark grey armchair next to a slate coffee table. The table, much like the rest of the apartment, is covered in empty liquor bottles and debris. Shards of wood and glass coat every surface, making the whole place look more like an extreme obstacle course than a place someone might live. Multiple large chunks are missing from the drywall, including a couple rather telling fist-sized holes.

"Glad to see your problem isn't just with my furniture," Kami says with her brows furrowed.

"Er, yeah," I say. "I'm assuming this isn't just my new, futuristic decorating style."

"Now if only you could've used those brilliant deductive skills to not get yourself into this mess in the first place."

"I can always count on you for an 'I told you so,'" I say, narrowing my eyes.

"Then stop doing shit I tell you not to do, Z."

I drop my head into my hands, my elbows resting on my knees.

She's not wrong.

"You know, love, you're really preaching to the choir. I never once thought this was a good idea. Future me must be an idiot."

"You're half right," she says. She leans back in her chair and sighs. "Future you is an idiot. The only problem is that you're already becoming that idiot again."

"I fucking better not be. I should have more time than that. Why d-"

"Since I've gotten here you've downed two beers," she says. "Your hands are shaking and you're sweating."

"I haven't remembered anything."

"I think your body is remembering," she says. "That's the first sign. It's gonna come back and it's going to be fast."

There's a rapping of knuckles at the door followed by the door swinging open. Kieran pops in and closes it behind him.

"How's it going?" he asks. I can't tell if he's asking me or Kami.

"He says he doesn't remember anything yet," Kami says.

She pulls up a chair for Kieran, brushing off what appear to be fragments of dark green glass.

Kieran sits down and his scent catches my attention. I can't tell if part of me is recognizing it or if it's drawing my attention for another reason, but it's stirring something in me that I can't shake.

"What is that, mate?" I ask. "What is that smell?"

"Oh, I uh," Kieran stammers, looking to Kami as if he needed guidance.

She pinches the bridge of her nose and sighs.

"Told you," she says to Kieran. "It's wearing off."

"Anybody want to let me in on the secret?" I ask.

They exchange looks and both glance down at my hands. My hand is wet and sticky, holding a few shards of brown glass.

Bloody hell why did I crush my beer?

I jump up with my chest inflated and my fists balled tight.

"Seriously, what the fuck is that, Kieran?" I ask in a low growl. "I don't like it."

"Calm down, bro," Kieran says, holding up his hands in a surrender gesture.

In a blur, I rip him from his chair and pin him to the opposite wall. He chuckles and coughs despite having the wind knocked out of him.