Chapter 47

𝔸𝕧𝕒

We step inside the swanky mirrored elevator and Zane scans a key fob before hitting a button that says 'P'.

I don't really know what that is supposed to stand for. P...Primo floor?

"P?" I ask.

"Penthouse, baby," Zane says. I suddenly feel ultra-dumb for not getting that one.

"Is someone going to show us the place or...?"

"My name's on the lease, love," he says. "If we want it, we just move in."

Oh. Right.

The elevator bell dings and the doors open to a small entryway with a set of doors. I look around expecting a hallway with additional doors but it's just the one small corridor.

"Where do we go?" I ask.

"Through the doors, love. Where else?"

He looks at me quizzically and opens the door for me.

"Okay, big spender, sorry if I don't know how these rich people things work." I say, my voice drifting as I look around at a massive open space with red brick walls and an upper floor surrounded by glass walls. Sunlight streams through five towering arched windows that extend to the loft level. The space is completely furnished.

"What do you think?" Zane asks.

"The fuck is this??" I ask in disbelief.

"You don't like it?" His expression falls.

"Of course I like it!" I say, slapping Zane on the shoulder. "But what is this? This isn't an apartment, Zane, it's a fucking Pottery Barn!"

"I don't know what that means," he says with narrowed eyes.

"This is giant," I say, looking around. "Does this apartment take up the entire top floor?"

"That's what penthouse means, love," he says with a smile.

"Okay, well I told you I don't know how rich people stuff works."

I look to one window and realize that it's actually a door.

"Is there just a door to nowhere over here?" I ask, walking toward it. As I walk, I see a garden and an odd reflective surface.

"It's a garden," he says.

I step out into a beautiful green space flanked with trees. As I look around I catch the reflection again, and it's a pool.

A fucking pool.

"What the fuck!" I shout.

Zane looks at me cautiously.

"Is it too high? Do you not like heights?" he asks. "Is it the water? Are you afraid of water?"

"No," I say. "It's just, it's too much! How much money do you make, anyway?"

Shit. That was so rude. I can't believe I just asked that.

"A lot," he says with a smile. "Does that mean you like it?"

"Yes, Zane, but I kinda figured I'd be like... contributing to the rent. And this is... I don't think I could afford to pay the renter's insurance here."

"You know I don't care, right?" he asks, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into his chest. "Perks of being a Siren, ya know."

"Yeah, perks of being a super-old guy," I tease.

"You know, love," he says with a glare. "I'd be glad to show you how young I really am."

"Oh it's okay, I believe you."