Chapter 15

𝔸𝕧𝕒

I pull my car into the parking lot outside Zane's apartment.

I finally got Zane to invite me over to his place again. For someone who is always so eager to see me, these past few weeks he's been intent on avoiding us spending time alone.

I'm probably being paranoid, but I swear it's always something.

'My apartment is a mess right now.' 'I have to get to bed early.' 'I'm just really dying to check out this new movie.' 'I figured it was rude not to invite your friends.'

What happened to guys always wanting to get women alone any chance they get?

My phone buzzes in my pocket.

Jen: Sooo, tonight's the nite??

Thanks, Jen. Like I wasn't already nervous.

Me: Don't jinx me Jen

Jen: Are you there??

Me: Not yet. Just parked.

Jen: Bow chicka BOW WOW

Me: Stoppp. You're stressing me!

Jen: Come on, he's totally into u you just need to seal the deal! What r u wearing?

I snap a quick photo of my jeans and low-cut maroon tank top under a black cardigan before I step out of my car.

Jen: Cute but I meant *underneath*

Jen: Plz no picture of that. Don't wanna think bout u like that

Me: Ewww stopppp

I'm not about to tell Jen, but I am wearing a matching black lace bra and panty set under this. You know—just in case.

I step out of my car and take the elevator to Zane's floor. His apartment is simple but very nice and has a gorgeous city view from the 14th floor of his building.

"Hey baby!" Zane's voice chimes as I open the door.

"Hey!" I say, leaning in for a kiss. He shifts to kiss my forehead instead.

Damn it.

He's wearing a white shirt that is tight along his skin in all the right places.

"Hey Ava!" a voice says from the living room.

Oh great. Kieran's here.

"I hope you don't mind," Zane says, "I invited Kieran to hang out with us."

Damn it, Zane.

"Yeah, cool," I say.

Not cool. Not at all cool.

Zane offers me a drink as I sit down on the leather sofa next to Kieran. He's playing some video game on Zane's television. It looks like he's playing as some kind of beast with the head of a bull with a big sword slicing through crowds of monsters.

I haven't seen Kieran since the—ahem—dream I had. It feels weird to hang out with them both now.

"Wait," I say, scrunching my eyebrows as I inspect Kieran's arm. "I swear you had tattoos, didn't you?"

"Oh uh, yeah," he says with a quick glance to Zane. "Those were just temporary ones. You know, those wash off ones."

"Oh, okay," I say.